Juniper Mist WAN Assurance
The Juniper Mist WAN Assurance cloud service simplifies network deployment and operations, improves visibility into end-user experiences, and shortens the mean time to repair SD-WAN issues. By combining data and intelligence from Mist AI, Session Smart Routers, and SRX Series Firewalls, Juniper provides industry-leading network automation and insight for optimum user, device, and application experiences in branch and remote locations.
- Visibility into WAN user experiences with application-based context
- End-to-end user impact analyses based on WLAN, LAN, and WAN telemetry data
- Automated identification and correction of gateway misconfigurations and faulty interfaces
- Health insights into Session Smart Routers, SRX Series Firewalls, and WAN links
- Simplified configuration and deployment of Session Smart Routers
Features + Benefits
Monitor and enforce service-level experiences (SLEs) using key metrics on application response times, WAN link status, gateway health, and other network conditions. Gain insights into how these metrics impact end-user experiences and use them to proactively identify the root causes of any service degradation.
AI-powered intelligence assesses the impact of network latency, jitter, packet loss, and other network metrics on end-user experiences by application. It also provides insights into gateway health, including CPU and memory consumption and link-utilization levels.
When combined with the Marvis Virtual Network Assistant (VNA) service, WAN Assurance proactively detects WAN gateway anomalies to identify and resolve application issues before they impact users.
The Marvis conversational interface allows IT teams to use natural language to quickly get the networking and troubleshooting answers they need. They can pose questions like, “Why is my user’s video chat application experience bad?” and receive prompt and accurate replies from the VNA.
Centrally configure and onboard your SD-WAN, including WAN links and service and security policies, using the Juniper Mist Cloud. Zero touch provisioning (ZTP) simplifies site deployments, while configuration templates enable rapid-scale implementation of your entire distributed SD-WAN.
Training and Community
AI-driven, zero trust network yields business agility for AmeriTrust
AmeriTrust, a specialty insurance commercial underwriter and administration services company, looked to digital transformation to fuel growth. It embarked on an ambitious effort to streamline IT operations, strengthen cybersecurity, and drive business success in an unpredictable and changing world.
The Juniper Mist WAN Assurance service simplifies operations, improves visibility into end-user experiences, and shortens SD-WAN mean time to repair.
Session Smart Router
Our software-defined router provides a flexible, application-aware network fabric that meets stringent enterprise performance, security, and availability requirements. Session optimization, intelligent features, and granular service controls enable the highest-quality routing for diverse applications and services.
Why other SD‑WAN solutions don’t come close to Juniper
See AI-driven SD-WAN in action
Find WAN Assurance in these solutions
Enrich user experiences across the WAN with AI-driven insight, automation, action, and native security.
Juniper Mist WAN Assurance FAQs
What is Juniper Mist WAN Assurance?
Juniper Mist WAN Assurance is a key component of the Juniper AI-Driven SD-WAN solution. WAN Assurance uses AI for IT operations (AIOps) to enable IT teams to deliver superior user experiences across an entire distributed enterprise. WAN Assurance achieves this by continually measuring service levels at the WAN edge.
What does WAN Assurance accomplish?
Juniper WAN Assurance greatly improves the user and operator experience for enterprise WAN networks. This is accomplished with the Juniper Mist AI engine, which analyzes rich streaming telemetry from Juniper Session Smart Routers and Juniper SRX Series Firewalls, and provides real-time insights into individual user experiences. Juniper WAN Assurance provides application health, WAN link health, and gateway health metrics, along with root-cause discovery and anomaly detection.
The Marvis Virtual Network Assistant further simplifies troubleshooting with natural language processing (NLP), a Conversational Assistant, prescriptive actions, and self-driving actions that automatically remediate issues.
What makes WAN Assurance unique from competing solutions?
WAN Assurance improves user experiences beyond what is possible with any other enterprise cloud service. It is the only cloud service that uses Service Level Experiences (SLEs) to measure and dynamically improve end-user application experiences. WAN Assurance also works in conjunction with Juniper Mist Wired Assurance and Juniper Mist Wi-Fi Assurance to isolate network issues for distributed enterprises.
Since system problems can actually be caused in one domain (such as the WAN) and felt in another (such as a LAN), WAN Assurance is part of a complete client-to-cloud service ensuring optimal experiences across the enterprise.
How do Service Level Experiences (SLEs) work?
Going well beyond the concept of client health (that is, whether a device is functioning or not), SLEs measure actual user experiences in real time, based on continuously delivered (and actionable) telemetry. SLEs are maintained using applied data science and machine learning to understand the actual end-user experience on the network.
SLEs identify root causes of suboptimal application experiences in just a few clicks and proactively isolate needle-in-a-haystack problems that may occur anywhere in the WAN.
What are the Service Level Experiences (SLEs) in WAN Assurance?
The SLEs in WAN Assurance are:
- WAN edge health: percentage of time clients are affected by WAN edges (routers) not passing traffic efficiently
- WAN link health: percentage of the time clients are affected by suboptimal WAN link performance
- Application health: percentage of the time when monitored applications are not performing well
- Overall service: derived from the above
These SLEs include classifiers that are continually updated based on analytics and that help quickly isolate and repair network problems. For example, classifiers for WAN link health could be a physical cabling problem or could be related to ISP reachability.
Other domains (wired and wireless) have their own SLEs and classifiers—for example, a wireless SLE is Successful Connections, with classifiers including authorization or Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) issues, among others.
Does WAN Assurance operate in tandem with Mist Wired Assurance and Mist Wi-Fi Assurance?
Yes. When used in conjunction with Juniper Mist Wired Assurance and Mist Wireless Assurance, WAN Assurance transforms and unites all operations across network switches, IoT devices, access points, servers, printers, and other equipment.
The benefits of this cross-domain visibility and control can be seen in the resolution of complex issues, such as:
- A discovery that a problem with successful connections to an access point was caused by a configuration change in a WAN router (an MTU mismatch) that caused certificates to fail
- A generic case of the Internet being slow turns out to be a disruption in a cloud security service
- A slow messaging application could be affected by latency on the application server, or an LTE signal issue in the WAN, or even an issue in the LAN (wired or wireless)
What are the benefits of WAN Assurance?
Key benefits of WAN Assurance are:
- Reduce troubleshooting time: WAN Assurance identifies root causes of service problem
- AI-Driven application insights: Intelligence to assess the impact of network latency, jitter, packet loss, and other network metrics on end-user experiences by application
- Gateway anomaly detection: WAN Assurance detects WAN gateway anomalies to identify and resolve application issues before they impact users
- Conversational interface: Marvis uses Natural Language Processing (NLP) to quickly obtain answers to networking issues by obtaining troubleshooting information in a question-and-answer format
- Cloud-based onboarding: Zero touch provisioning (ZTP) simplifies site deployments, while configuration templates enable rapid-scale implementation of an entire distributed SD-WAN
Who should use WAN Assurance?
Distributed enterprises and service providers can benefit from WAN Assurance by simplifying operations, reducing meant time to repair (MTTR), and improving end-user experiences.
What organizations use WAN Assurance?
Gartner Magic Quadrant for Enterprise Wired and Wireless LAN Infrastructure, Mike Toussaint, Christian Canales, Tim Zimmerman, December 21, 2022.
Gartner does not endorse any vendor, product or service depicted in its research publications, and does not advise technology users to select only those vendors with the highest ratings or other designation. Gartner research publications consist of the opinions of Gartner’s research organization and should not be construed as statements of fact. Gartner disclaims all warranties, expressed or implied, with respect to this research, including any warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Gartner® and Magic Quadrant are registered trademarks and service mark of Gartner, Inc. and/or its affiliates in the U.S. and internationally and are used herein with permission. All rights reserved.