Upgrading Memory on SRP Modules
This section describes how to upgrade memory on SRP modules. ERX software releases 3.0.x and higher require at least 512 MB of memory on each SRP module.
There are four main steps involved in upgrading memory on SRP modules:
- Check memory currently installed on the SRP module.
- Remove the SRP module and remove the SODIMMs.
- Add the new SODIMMs to the SRP module.
- Reinstall the SRP module and verify the upgrade.
See the following sections for information on each step.
Warning: Do not insert any metal object, such as a screwdriver, or place your hand into an open slot or the backplane when the ERX system is on. Remove jewelry (including rings, necklaces, and watches) before working on equipment that is connected to power lines. These actions prevent electric shock and serious burns.
Caution: When handling modules, use an antistatic wrist strap connected to the ERX system's ESD grounding jack, and hold modules by their edges. Do not touch the components, pins, leads, or solder connections. These actions help to protect modules from damage by electrostatic discharge.
Checking the Memory Installed
Before you install the new memory, issue the show hardware command to check how much memory is installed. Each SRP module should currently use at least 256 MB of memory. You will need one upgrade kit for each SRP module in the system.
Depending on the upgrade you are performing, the kit will contain a specific number of small outline dual inline memory modules (SODIMMs) with either 128-MB or 512-MB capacity (see Table 7-1).
Table 7-1 Available upgrade kits
After removing the SRP module from the ERX system, you may have to remove lower-memory SODIMMs to upgrade to a higher-capacity SRP module. The SODIMM sockets are close to the NVS card and have a cream ceramic connector at one edge. Some or all of the sockets may already contain SODIMMs.
- Push down on the back edge of a SODIMM to release it from the socket (see Figure 7-2).
- Gently pull up and out to disconnect the SODIMM from the connectors and remove it from the socket.
Adding New SODIMMs
- Locate the four SODIMM sockets on the SRP module (see Figure 7-2 and Figure 7-3). See the previous section to learn how to remove SODIMMs.
- Insert a SODIMM from the upgrade kit at an angle of approximately 45 degrees into an empty ceramic connector, so that the notch in the long gold edge of the SODIMM aligns with the notch in the connector.
The notch on the long gold edge will no longer be visible when the SODIMM is pressed in far enough.
- Press the top surface downward into the socket until the socket spring snaps into place and holds it.
- Repeat steps 2 through 3 with the other SODIMM.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 for the other SRP module, if present.
Verifying the Upgrade
To verify that the upgrade is complete:
- Place the SRP modules in the chassis.
The SRP modules will reboot.
- Close the ejector handles and tighten the thumbscrews.
- Issue the show hardware command, and verify that the display indicates that the correct amount of memory is present.