Cisco CatOS for Catalyst Switches
The Cisco CatOS for Catalyst Switches DSM for JSA accepts events by using syslog.
JSA records all relevant device events. Before you configure a Cisco CatOS device in JSA, you must configure your device to forward syslog events.
Configuring your Cisco CatOS device to forward syslog events.
Take the following steps to configure your Cisco CatOS device to forward syslog events:
- Log in to your Cisco CatOS user interface.
- Type the following command to access privileged EXEC mode:
- Configure the system to timestamp messages:
set logging timestamp enable
- Type the following command with the IP address of JSA:
set logging server <IP address>
- Limit messages that are logged by selecting a severity
set logging server severity <server severity level>
- Configure the facility level to be used in the message.
The default is local7.
set logging server facility <server facility parameter>
- Enable the switch to send syslog messages to the JSA.
set logging server enable
You are now ready to configure the log source in JSA.
Configuring a Log Source
JSA automatically discovers and creates a log source for syslog events from Cisco CatOS appliances.
The following configuration steps are optional.
To manually configure a syslog log source for Cisco CatOS:
- Log in to JSA.
- Click the Admin tab.
- On the navigation menu, click Data Sources.
The Data Sources pane is displayed.
- Click the Log Sources icon.
The Log Sources window is displayed.
- Click Add.
The Add a log source window is displayed.
- In the Log Source Name field, type a name for your log source.
- In the Log Source Description field, type a description for the log source.
- From the Log Source Type list, select Cisco CatOS for Catalyst Switches.
- Using the Protocol Configuration list, select Syslog.
The syslog protocol configuration is displayed.
- Configure the following values:
Table 1: Syslog Parameters
Log Source Identifier
Type the IP address or host name for the log source as an identifier for events from your Cisco CatOS for Catalyst Switch appliance.
- Click Save.
- On the Admin tab, click Deploy Changes.
The configuration is complete.