Step 1: Begin
In this guide, we provide a simple, three-step path, to quickly get you up and running with your new NFX150. We’ve simplified and shortened the installation and configuration steps, and included how-to videos. You'll learn how to install the NFX150 in a rack, power it up, and deploy it on your network using the CLI.
Meet the NFX150
The Juniper Networks® NFX150 Network Services Platform is a software-driven customer premises equipment (CPE) platform that delivers fully automated, secure SD-WAN, secure router, and cloud CPE solutions. Equipped with SRX Series next-generation firewall software and 4G/LTE interface speeds, you can use the NFX150 to manage multiple Juniper and third-party virtual network functions (VNFs) on a single device. Plus, it’s easy to deploy and manage the NFX150 with zero-touch provisioning (ZTP).
The NFX150 comes in a 1-U rack mount model (NFX150-S1) and a compact desktop model (NFX150-S1-C). Both models are available with or without LTE support. For increased capacity, you can install an expansion module in the NFX150-S1 rack mount model.
The NFX150 has:
Four 10/100/1000BASE-T RJ-45 ports that can be used either as access ports or as uplinks
Two 1GbE/10GbE SFP+ ports
One 10/100/1000BASE-T RJ-45 management port
Two console ports (RJ-45 and mini-USB)
One USB 3.0 port
One built-in power supply
Two built-in fans
Air-flow out (front-to-back) cooling
Install the NFX150
You can install the NFX150 on a desktop, in a two-post or four-post rack, or on the wall. The NFX150 comes with the mounting brackets you need to install it in a two-post rack. You’ll need to order a separate rack mount kit if you want to install it in a four-post rack. Likewise, you’ll need to order a separate wall mount kit if you want to install the NFX150 on the wall.
What’s in the Box?
Power cord appropriate for your geographic location
RJ-45 Ethernet cable
RJ-45 to DB-9 serial port adapter
The accessory kit contains four rubber feet (for desktop installations), one pair of mounting blades, and eight Phillips mounting screws.
What Else Do I Need?
Someone to help you secure the switch to the rack
A number 2 Phillips (+) screwdriver
Four rack mount screws
Cage nuts and washers, if your rack requires them
An electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap
A management host, such as a laptop or desktop PC, with a serial port
Serial-to-USB adapter (if your laptop or desktop PC doesn’t have a serial port)
Install the NFX150-S1-C on a Desk
To install the NFX150-S1-C on a desk or flat surface, simply attach the four rubber feet included in the accessory kit to the bottom of the chassis, and then place the chassis on a desk or level surface.
Install the NFX150-S1 in a Two-Post Rack
- Review General Safety Guidelines and Warnings.
- Depending on how you want the NFX150 to sit in the rack,
secure the mounting brackets to the front, center, or rear mounting
holes on the side panels. Use the supplied mounting screws.
- Lift the NFX150 and position it in the rack. Line up the
bottom hole in each mounting bracket with a hole in each rack rail,
making sure the NFX150 is level.
- While you’re holding the NFX150 in place, have a second person insert and tighten the rack mount screws to secure the mounting brackets to the rack rails. Make sure they tighten the screws in the two bottom holes first and then tighten the screws in the two top holes.
- Check that the mounting brackets on each side of the rack are level.
- Wrap the ESD grounding strap around your bare wrist and ground yourself to an ESD point or to the rack.
- Attach a grounding cable to earth ground and then attach
it to the grounding point on the rear panel of the NFX150.
The NFX150 gets additional grounding when you plug the AC power cord into a grounded AC power outlet using the AC power cord.
- Attach the power cord retainer clip:
- Squeeze the two sides of the power cord retainer clip.
- Insert the L-shaped ends into the holes in the bracket on each side of the AC power cord inlet on the rear panel. The power cord retainer clip extends out of the chassis by three inches.
- Insert the power cord firmly into the AC power cord inlet.
- Push the power cord into the slot in the adjustment nut
of the power cord retainer clip. Turn the nut until it is tight against
the base of the coupler and the slot in the nut is turned 90°
from the top of the NFX150.
- If the AC power source outlet has a power switch, turn it off.
- Plug in the AC power cord to the power source outlet.
- If the AC power source outlet has a power switch, turn
The NFX150 powers on as soon as it receives power.
- Verify that the power LED on the front panel of the NFX150 is steady green.