Step 1: Begin
Meet the MX150
The Juniper Networks® MX150 Universal Routing Platform is a compact, high-performance edge router that is ideally suited for lower-bandwidth service provider applications and distributed service architectures, and for enterprise WAN. With support for an outstanding mix of 10/100/1000BASE-T and 10GbE interfaces, all in a single rack unit (1 U), the MX150 helps conserve precious space resources and contain costs associated with power and cooling.
The MX150 has eight 1GbE RJ-45 network ports, two 1GbE RJ-45
access or uplink ports, two 1GbE SFP ports, and two 10GbE SFP+ ports.
You can manage the router through an 1GbE RJ-45 management port, mini-USB
console port, and an RJ-45 console (
The MX150 is shipped with a built-in AC power supply, and fans with
Install the MX150
You can install the MX150 on a desktop, in a two-post or four-post rack, or on a wall. The MX150 comes with the mounting brackets you need to install it in a two-post rack. You’ll need to order a separate rack mount kit if you want to install it in a four-post rack. Likewise, you’ll need to order a separate wall mount kit if you want to install the MX150 on a wall.
What’s in the Box?
AC power cord appropriate for your geographic location
AC power cord retainer clip
RJ-45 Ethernet cable
RJ-45 to DB-9 serial port adapter
The accessory kit contains four rubber feet (for desktop installations), one pair of mounting brackets, and eight Phillips mounting screws.
What Else Do I Need?
You’ll also need:
Someone to help you secure the router to the rack
A number 2 Phillips (+) screwdriver
Four rack mount screws
Cage nuts and washers, if your rack requires them
An electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap
Grounding cable (optional)
A management host, such as a laptop or PC with a serial port
Serial-to-USB adapter (if your laptop or PC doesn’t have a serial port)
Install the MX150 on a Desk
To install the MX150 on a desk or other flat surface, simply attach the four rubber feet (included in the accessory kit) to the bottom of the chassis. Place the chassis on a desk or level surface.
Install the MX150 in a Two-Post Rack
- Review General Safety Guidelines and Warnings.
- Depending on how you want the MX150 to sit in the rack,
secure the mounting brackets to the front, center, or rear mounting
holes on the side panels. Use the supplied mounting screws.
- Lift the MX150 and position it in the rack. Line up the
bottom hole in each mounting bracket with a hole in each rack rail,
making sure the MX150 is level.
- While you’re holding the MX150 in place, have a second person insert and tighten the rack mount screws to secure the mounting brackets to the rack rails. Make sure they tighten the screws in the two bottom holes first, and then tighten the screws in the two top holes.
- Check that the mounting brackets on each side of the rack are level.
- Wrap the ESD grounding strap around your bare wrist and ground yourself to an ESD point or to the rack.
- Attach a grounding cable to earth ground and then attach
it to the grounding point on the rear panel of the MX150.
Earth grounding is recommended, but optional for the MX150. The chassis meets electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) and ESD requirements, allowing the MX150 to function normally without earth grounding. The MX150 gets additional grounding when you plug the AC power cord into a grounded AC power outlet.
- Attach the power cord retainer clip:
- Squeeze the two sides of the power cord retainer clip.
- Insert the L-shaped ends of the wire clip into the holes in the bracket on each side of the AC power socket on the rear panel. The power cord retainer clip extends out of the chassis by three inches.
- Insert the AC power cord firmly into the AC power socket.
- Push the power cord into the slot in the adjustment nut
of the power cord retainer clip. Turn the nut until it’s tight
against the base of the coupler and the slot in the nut is turned
90° from the top of the MX150.
- If the AC power source outlet has a power switch, turn it off.
- Plug in the AC power cord to the AC power source outlet.
- If the AC power source outlet has a power switch, turn
The MX150 powers on as soon as it receives power.
- Verify that the power LED on the front panel is steady green.