Step 1: Begin
Meet the EX3400 Ethernet Switch
The Juniper Networks EX3400 Ethernet Switches are a cost-effective solution for today’s most demanding converged data, voice, and video enterprise access networks. The fixed-configuration 1-RU switches are perfect for campus wiring closet deployments. They offer levels of performance and management previously available only with high-end access switches.
The EX3400 switches support Power over Ethernet (PoE) and Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) ports for powering attached network devices.
You can interconnect up to 10 EX3400 switches to form a Virtual Chassis and thus manage these switches as a single logical device.
In this guide, we show you how to install the following EX3400 AC-powered switch models:
EX3400-24T: 24 10/100/1000BASE-T ports, four SFP+ uplink ports
EX3400-24P: 24 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE/PoE+ ports, four SFP+ uplink ports
EX3400-48T: 48 10/100/1000BASE-T ports, four SFP+ uplink ports
EX3400-48P: 48 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE/PoE+ ports, four SFP+ uplink ports
Install the EX3400 Switch
You can install the EX3400 switch on a desk or table, on a wall, or in a two-post or four-post rack. The accessory kit that ships in the box has the brackets you need to install the EX3400 switch in a two-post rack. In this guide, we walk you through how to do that.
If you want to mount the switch on a wall or in a four-post rack, you’ll need to order a wall mount or rack mount kit. The four-post rack mount kit also has brackets for mounting the EX3400 switch in a recessed position in the rack.
What’s in the Box?
An AC power cord appropriate for your geographical location
Two mounting brackets and eight mounting screws
An Ethernet cable with RJ-45 connectors attached and an RJ-45 to DB-9 serial port adapter
Power cord retainer clip
What Else Do I Need?
You’ll also need:
Someone to help you secure the switch to the rack
Mounting screws to secure the EX3400 to the rack
A number two Phillips (+) screwdriver
A serial-to-USB adapter (if your laptop doesn’t have a serial port)
Install the EX3400 in a Two-Post Rack
- Review General Safety Guidelines and Warnings
- Attach the mounting brackets to the sides of the EX3400
switch using the eight screws that came in the box and the screwdriver.
You’ll notice there are three locations on the side panel where you can attach the mounting brackets: front, center, and rear. Attach the mounting brackets to the location that best suits where you want the EX3400 switch to sit in the rack.
- Lift the EX3400 switch and position it in the rack. Line up the bottom hole in each mounting bracket with a hole in each rack rail, making sure the EX3400 switch is level.
- While you’re holding the EX3400 switch in place, have someone insert and tighten the rack mount screws to secure the mounting brackets to the rack rails. Make sure to tighten the screws in the two bottom holes first and then tighten the screws in the two top holes.
- Check that the mounting brackets on each side of the rack are level.
Now you’re ready to connect the EX3400 switch to a dedicated AC power source. The switch comes with the AC power cord for your geographic location.
Here’s how to connect an EX3400 switch to AC power:
- On the rear panel, connect the power cord retainer clip
to the AC power supply:
- Push the end of the power cord retainer strip into the
slot above the power cord socket until the strip snaps into place.
Ensure that the loop in the retainer strip faces the power cord. The
power cord retainer clip extends out of the chassis by 3 in. (7.62
- Press the small tab on the retainer strip to loosen the loop. Slide the loop until there is enough space to insert the power cord coupler into the power cord socket.
- Plug in the power cord to the power cord socket.
- Slide the loop toward the power supply until it is snug against the base of the coupler.
- Press the tab on the loop and draw out the loop into a
- Push the end of the power cord retainer strip into the slot above the power cord socket until the strip snaps into place. Ensure that the loop in the retainer strip faces the power cord. The power cord retainer clip extends out of the chassis by 3 in. (7.62 cm).
- If the AC power outlet has a power switch, turn it off.
- Plug in the power cord to the AC power outlet.
- If the AC power outlet has a power switch, turn it on.
The EX3400 switch powers up as soon you connect it to power.
It doesn’t have a power switch. When the
SYS LED on the front panel is lit solid green, the switch is ready to