Report an Error]
Equipment Rack Requirements
When allocating equipment rack space, consider the following:
- Type of equipment racks recommended for ERX routers
- Number of equipment racks required to hold your current router
- Future expansion
Make sure your distribution rack meet basic mechanical and space requirements
and complies with conventional standards. In the United States, use EIA-310-D
Cabinets, Racks, Panels, and Associated Equipment, September 1992.
Figure 50: ERX Routers Installed in a Rack
Follow these mechanical requirements for your rack:
- Select from the following rack options:
- Two-post rack—A freestanding enclosed cabinet with two mounting
posts in the front
- Telco-type rack—Two adjacent mounting posts that you must
secure to the floor or an overhead structure
- Four-post rack—A freestanding open rack, either open or
- The rack must have at least two mounting posts.
- The distance between the mounting holes in the two posts must
be 18.31 inches ±.063 inch, as specified in the EIA-310-D.
- Do not use an enclosed rack for ERX-7xx models or the ERX-310
router. It does not provide adequate ventilation.
- A fully loaded rack with three ERX-14xx models must structurally
support 300 pounds (136 kilograms).
- Optional mounting kits are available for 19-inch and 23-inch rack
mounting (mid-chassis and front-chassis mounting). Contact your Juniper Networks
sales representative for more information.
If you use an enclosed rack for an ERX-14xx model, ensure that there
is a minimum of 3 inches of clearance between the inner side wall and the
router. This clearance space ensures adequate air flow.
Proper Rack Installation
To confirm proper equipment rack installation, verify the following:
- Racks are installed and electrically grounded
according to manufacturer instructions.
- Equipment racks are anchored to the floor
and, when possible, anchored to the ceiling as well.
- Equipment rack installations comply with
applicable local, state, and national codes.
To maintain airflow requirements, a plenum must be installed above ERX-14xx
models before any other piece of equipment is installed above the router.
Figure 51: Airflow for ERX Routers
Report an Error]