Report an Error]
Installing and Removing SFPs
This section describes how to replace small form-factor pluggable transceivers
(SFPs) on IOAs that support these devices. A range of SFPs that support different
optical modes (multimode, single mode, and so forth) and cabling distances
is available. You can replace the SFPs without disabling the interfaces or
removing the module from the system.
To install SFPs:
- Ground yourself by using an antistatic wrist strap
or other device and connect it to one of the ESD grounding jacks.
- Identify the following items on the SFP (Figure 15):
- The connection circuitry on the base
- The cable connectors on the front (which are protected by a dust
Figure 15: Representative SFP
Be sure to position the SFP correctly before you install it.
- Hold the SFP so that:
- The connection circuitry is adjacent to the LK and ACT markings
on the IOA's faceplate.
- The cable connectors will be visible when you install the SFP.
For the correct orientation, see Figure 16.
Figure 16: Installing an SFP on an IOA
the SFP as far as you can into the IOA until the SFP clicks into place.
If the SFP does not slide smoothly into the IOA, make sure that the
orientation of the SFP is correct.
- Gently pull the SFP to confirm that it is inserted correctly.
If the SFP comes out of the slot when you pull it, repeat Step 4.
- Remove the dust cover that protects the cable connectors.
- Connect the new cables to the SFP.
To remove an SFP:
- Obtain an antistatic container for the SFP you plan
to remove. (See Storing Modules
- Ground yourself by using an antistatic wrist strap or other
device and connect it to one of the ESD grounding jacks.
- Disconnect the cable from the SFP on the IOA.
- Identify the release mechanism for the SFP.
Different SFPs use different release mechanisms. See Figure 17 for
possible release mechanisms, which include:
- A button that you press inward
- A ring that you press inward
- A bar that you pull sideways, then outward
- A tab that you pull sideways, then outward
Figure 17: Possible Release Mechanisms on
the SFP and pull it out of the slot.
- Place the SFP in an antistatic bag.
When you have replaced the SFPs and connected the cables, issue the
appropriate show interface command for each
interface to verify that the interface is operational (up).
Report an Error]