Replacing Fan Trays
A tray of cooling fans provides forced air cooling for components in the E-series router. The fan trays are hot-swappable and can be replaced without powering down the system. However, if you do not replace the fan tray within a few minutes, the system enters thermal protection mode. For information about thermal protection mode, see Monitoring Temperatures of Modules in Chapter 10, Troubleshooting.
Caution: If the FAN FAIL LED on the SRP module is illuminated and none of the fans are spinning when you remove the fan tray, power down the system until a new fan tray is available. Operating an E-series router with inadequate air circulation may damage the modules.
Caution: Do not use the fan tray handle to carry the fan tray assembly. Use the handle only to pull the tray out of the chassis.
Removing the Fan Tray
To remove the fan tray:
- (ERX-14xx models only) Place a flathead screwdriver in the groove where the top bezel meets the chassis on the top of the system, and lever the top bezel off the front of the system.
- With an appropriate screwdriver, loosen the captive screws located at the corners of the fan tray.
Warning: Do not place your fingers near the fans when removing the fan tray. The blades may still be moving.
- Pull the fan tray halfway out of the shelf.
Warning: Slowly slide the fan tray out of the chassis. The tray does not have stops to prevent it from sliding all the way out.
- Pull the tray out of the chassis.
Installing the Fan Tray
To install the fan tray:
Caution: Do not use the fan tray handle to carry the fan tray assembly. Use the handle only to push the tray into the chassis.
- Hold the tray horizontally (ERX-14xx models) or vertically (ERX-7xx models and ERX-310 routers) or so that the captive screws point toward you and you can read text on the labels.
- Place the bottom corners of the tray housing in the plastic shelf guides of the fan tray compartment; push toward the back of the chassis halfway, and stop.
- Push the fan tray toward the back of the shelf until it stops.
There is an electrical connector on the back of the fan tray that pairs with an electrical connector at the back of the shelf.
- With an appropriate screwdriver, tighten the captive screws.
Alternate between screws when tightening them to ensure that the electrical connectors at the back of the tray fit tightly.
- (ERX-14xx model only) Push the top bezel back on the front of the system.