Recovering or Installing System Software on a C Series Controller by Using the USB Storage Device Supplied by Juniper Networks
You can recover system software by using the USB storage device supplied with the C Series Controller.
Starting from SRC Release 4.5, the USB storage device supplied with the C Series Controller is a read/write or read-only device. Prior to SRC Release 4.5, Juniper Networks shipped the C Series Controller with only a read-only USB storage device that contains a copy of the system software.
Using the read-only USB storage device supplied by Juniper Networks, you can only recover the system software; whereas, by using the read/write USB storage device, you can create an installation medium and back up the system configuration.
To determine whether the USB storage device you received from Juniper Networks is a read-only or read/write device, contact Juniper Networks Technical Assistance Center (JTAC).
Using the read/write USB storage device supplied by Juniper Networks, you can create an installation medium that can be updated to the desired release and used to reimage a C Series Controller. You need to download the image file from the Juniper Networks Support website onto your Linux workstation, uncompress the software, and then copy the software image onto your Juniper Networks external USB (4-gigabyte) storage device.
When you install the SRC software from the supplied USB storage device, all system software, including the operating system, is installed, and the system hard drives are partitioned. As a result, any data, including data previously in the snapshot partition (if you do not select the retainsnapshot option at the boot prompt during the installation), is lost.
You can back up the system configuration to the read/write USB storage device supplied by Juniper Networks or to an external system (such as a computer running a Linux or Windows operating system, or a USB device) by using the save and file copy commands. The term “USB device” in this case refers to the customer-supplied read/write USB storage device. This should not be confused with the “USB storage device” supplied by Juniper Networks with each C Series Controller. You can also recover the configuration by using the load command. For information about managing the SRC configuration, see the SRC PE CLI User Guide. For information about how to specify a filename, see Specifying Filenames and URLs.
To create an installation medium by using the read/write USB storage device:
- In a Web browser, go to https://www.juniper.net/support/products/src/.
The SRC page appears.
- Click the Software tab and
select the image file that you want to download.
A login screen appears.
- Enter your username and password and press Enter.
- Log in and save the image file to your Linux workstation.
- Uncompress the image file on your Linux workstation.
- Insert the read/write USB (4-gigabyte) storage device supplied by Juniper Networks into your Linux workstation.
- Determine the system device of the USB storage device
by using the dmesg | less command.
dmesg | less
scsi 1:0:0:0: Direct-Access USB Flash Memory 1.04 PQ: 0 ANSI: 0 CCS usb-storage: device scan complete sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] 2004992 512-byte hardware sectors: (1.02 GB/979 MiB) sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Write Protect is off sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Mode Sense: 23 00 00 00 sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through sdb: sdb1 sd 1:0:0:0: [sdb] Attached SCSI removable disk
In this case, sdb is the system device of the USB storage device.
- Copy the software image that you just downloaded to your
Linux workstation onto your external USB storage device by using the dd command.
dd if=name.img of=/dev/usb-device
In this case,
dd if=name.img of=/dev/sdb
- Remove the USB storage device from the Linux workstation.
To boot the system from the supplied USB storage device and install the SRC software on a C Series Controller:
After you complete this procedure, remember to disconnect the USB storage device. Failure to do so can result in the loss of configuration and data if the system loses power or is rebooted.
- Plug the USB storage device into the USB port on the C Series Controller.
- Connect a console terminal to the C Series Controller.
See your C Series Controller Hardware Guide.
- Power on the system.
The controller starts up from the USB storage device and prints the following message.
SRC software -- System recovery software for SRC C series platforms. WARNING: This system recovery software replaces all data and software on the system hard drives. As a result, any data, including data previously in the snapshot partition(if retainsnapshot is not selected), is lost. After you run the system recovery software, the C-series platform contains the SRC software, including the C-series operating system, but no configuration data. To continue, press <Enter>. To retain the software previously in the snapshot partition, type retainsnapshot and press <Enter> To cancel this operation, power off the C-series platform and remove the USB storage device from the USB port.
- At the boot prompt, enter retainsnapshot and press the Enter key to retain the snapshot of the system software stored in the snapshot partition. If you do not want to retain the snapshot, press the Enter key, or follow the instructions on the screen to cancel the operation.
- When the software installation is complete, unplug the USB storage device from the USB port and reboot the C Series Controller.
- After the C Series Controller reboots and the software
installation is complete, set up the initial configuration.
See your C Series Controller Hardware Guide.