Installing an Uplink Module in an EX-series Switch
EX-series switches have a field-replaceable unit (FRU) uplink module on the front panel. The uplink module in an EX-series switch is not hot-removable and hot-insertable.
Note: If you insert a transceiver in an SFP uplink module installed in an EX 3200 switch, a corresponding network port from the last four ports is disabled. For example, if you insert an SFP transceiver in ge-0/1/3, ge-0/0/23 is disabled. The disabled port is not listed in the output of show interface commands.
Ensure you have the following tools and parts available to install an uplink module in an EX-series switch chassis:
- Electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap
- Cross-head screwdriver (provided in the uplink module kit)
Ensure you understand how to prevent ESD damage (see Preventing Electrostatic Discharge Damage).
To install an uplink module in an EX-series switch (see Figure 1):
- Attach an electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to the ESD point on the chassis.
- If the switch is on, power it off. Ensure that the AC OK LED on the power supply is unlit.
- Loosen the screws that secure the flip-up door covering the empty uplink module slot on the front panel of the chassis by using the cross-head screwdriver, flip the door upward, and remove the blanking panel covering the empty uplink module slot.
- Remove the uplink module from its bag. Take care
not to touch module components, pins, leads, or solder connections.
Caution: Ensure the uplink module is aligned correctly when you slide it into the slot; misalignment might bend the pins and make the uplink module unusable.
- Using both hands, place the module in the empty slot and slide it in gently until it is fully seated.
- Flip the door down and tighten the screws by using the cross-head screwdriver.
- Power on the switch. Ensure that the AC OK LED on the power supply is lit and is on steadily.
Figure 1: Installing an Uplink Module in an EX-series Switch
Note: If you have a Juniper J-Care service contract, register any addition, change, or upgrade of hardware components at https://www.juniper.net/customers/csc/management/updateinstallbase.jsp. Failure to do so can result in significant delays if you need replacement parts. This note applies if you change the type of power supply or add a new type of uplink module. It does not apply if you replace these components with the same type of component.