Step 1: Begin
Meet the EX2300 Line of Ethernet Switches
The Juniper Networks® EX2300 line of Ethernet switches provide a flexible, high-performance solution for supporting today’s converged network access deployments.
You can interconnect up to four EX2300 switches to form a Virtual Chassis, enabling these switches to be managed as a single device.
The EX2300 switches are available in 12-port, 24-port and 48-port models with AC power supplies.
The EX2300-24T-DC switch is DC-powered.
Each EX2300 switch model has front-panel 10/100/1000BASE-T access ports and 10GbE uplink ports for connecting to higher-level devices. The uplink ports support small form-factor pluggable plus (SFP+) transceivers. All switches except the EX2300-C-12T, EX2300-24T, and EX2300-48T support Power over Ethernet (PoE) and Power over Ethernet Plus (PoE+) for powering attached network devices.
There’s a separate Day One+ guide for the 12-port EX2300-C switch models. See EX2300-C on the Day One+ webpage.
This guide covers the following AC-powered switch models:
EX2300-24T: 24 10/100/1000BASE-T ports
EX2300-24P: 24 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE/PoE+ ports
EX2300-24MP: 16 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE+ ports, 8 10/100/1000/2500BASE-T PoE+ ports
EX2300-48T: 48 10/100/1000BASE-T ports
EX2300-48P: 48 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE/PoE+ ports
EX2300-48MP: 32 10/100/1000BASE-T PoE/PoE+ ports, 16 100/1000/2500/5000/10000BASE-T PoE/PoE+ ports
Install the EX2300 Switch in a Rack
Before you start the installation, be sure to review General Safety Guidelines and Warnings. Also, have someone available to help you secure the switch to the rack.
You can install the EX2300 switch on a desk or table, on a wall, or in a two-post or four-post rack. The accessory kit that ships in the box has the brackets you need to install the EX2300 switch in a two-post rack. We’ll walk you through how to do that.
If you want to mount the switch on the wall or in a four-post rack, you’ll need to order a wall mount or rack mount kit. The four-post rack mount kit also has brackets for mounting the EX2300 switch in a recessed position in the rack.
To install the EX2300 in a two-post rack, you’ll need the following parts that come with the EX2300 switch:
An AC power cord appropriate for your geographical location
Two mounting brackets and eight mounting screws
An Ethernet cable with RJ-45 connectors attached and an RJ-45 to DB-9 serial port adapter
Power cord retainer clip
Additionally, you’ll need to provide mounting screws to secure the EX2300 to the rack, a number two Phillips (+) screwdriver, and (if your laptop doesn’t have a serial port) a serial-to-USB adapter.
Here’s how to install the EX2300 switch in a two-post rack:
- Attach the mounting brackets to the sides of the EX2300
switch using the eight screws and a screwdriver.
You’ll notice there are three locations on the side panel where you can attach the mounting brackets: front, center, and rear. Attach the mounting brackets to the location that best suits where you want the EX2300 switch to sit in the rack.
- Lift the EX2300 switch and position it in the rack. Line up the bottom hole in each mounting bracket with a hole in each rack rail, making sure the EX2300 switch is level.
- While you’re holding the EX2300 switch in place, have someone insert and tighten the rack mount screws to secure the mounting brackets to the rack rails. Make sure to tighten the screws in the two bottom holes first and then tighten the screws in the two top holes.
- Check that the mounting brackets on each side of the rack are lined up with each other.
Now you’re ready to connect the EX2300 switch to a dedicated AC power source. The switch comes with the AC power cord for your geographic location.
Here’s how to connect an EX2300 switch to AC power:
- On the rear panel, connect the power cord retainer clip
to the AC power supply:
The EX2300-24-MP and the EX2300-48-MP switches don’t need a power cord retainer clip. You can simply plug in the power cord to the AC power socket on the switch and then skip to step 5.
- Squeeze the two sides of the power cord retainer clip.
- Insert the L-shaped ends into the holes in the bracket
above and below the AC power socket.
The power cord retainer clip extends out of the chassis by 3 in. (7.62 cm).
- Plug in the power cord to the AC power socket on the switch.
- Push the power cord into the slot in the adjustment nut for the retainer clip.
- Turn the nut clockwise until it’s snug against the
base of the coupler. The slot in the coupler should be 90 degrees
from the power supply socket.
- If the AC power outlet has a power switch, turn it off.
- Plug in the power cord to the AC power outlet.
- If the AC power outlet has a power switch, turn it on.
- Verify that the
AC OKLED above the power inlet is steadily lit.
The EX2300 switch powers up as soon you connect it to the AC
power source. When the
SYS LED on the front panel
is steadily green, the switch is ready to use.