Connecting the SRX300 to External Devices
Connecting the Dial-Up Modem to the Console Port on the SRX300 Services Gateway
To connect the dial-up modem to the console port on the services gateway:
- Turn off power to the services gateway.
- Turn off power to the modem.
- Connect one end of the Ethernet cable supplied with your services gateway into the console port on the services gateway.
- Connect the other end of the CAT-5e cable (Ethernet cable) into the RJ-45 to DB-9 serial port adapter supplied with your services gateway.
- Connect the serial port adapter to a separately purchased DB-9 socket to DB-25 plug adapter or other adapter appropriate for your modem.
- Plug the modem adapter into the DB-25 connector on the modem.
- Connect the modem to your telephone network.
- Turn on the power to the modem.
- Power on the services gateway by pressing the Power
button on the front panel. Verify that the PWR LED on the front panel
Most modems have an RS-232 DB-25 connector. You must separately purchase an adapter to connect your modem to the RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter and the Ethernet cable supplied with the services gateway.
Connecting to the SRX300 Services Gateway CLI Using a Dial-Up Modem
To remotely connect to the CLI through a dial-up modem connected to the console port on the services gateway:
- Connect a modem at your remote location to a management device such as a PC or laptop computer.
- Start your asynchronous terminal emulation application (such as Microsoft Windows HyperTerminal) on the PC or laptop computer.
- Select the COM port to which the modem is connected (for example, COM1).
- Configure the port settings :
Bits per second—9600
- In the HyperTerminal window, enter AT.
An OK response verifies that the modem can communicate successfully with the COM port on the PC or laptop.
- Dial the modem that is connected to the console port on
the services gateway by entering ATDT remote-modem-number. For example, if the
number of the modem connected to the console port on the services gateway is
0013033033030, enter ATDT 0013033033030.
The services gateway login prompt appears.
- Log in as the root user. No password is required at initial connection, but you must assign a root password before committing any configuration settings.