Unpacking and Mounting the QFX10002
Use the following topics for instructions on how to unpack and mount the switch:
Unpacking a QFX10002
The QFX10002 switch chassis is a rigid sheet-metal structure that houses the hardware components. A QFX10002 device is shipped in a cardboard carton, secured with foam packing material. The carton also contains an accessory box and quick start instructions.
QFX10002 switches are maximally protected inside the shipping carton. Do not unpack the switch until you are ready to begin installation.
To unpack a QFX10002:
- Move the shipping carton to a staging area as close to the installation site as possible, but where you have enough room to remove the system components.
- Position the carton so that the arrows are pointing up.
- Open the top flaps on the shipping carton.
- Remove the accessory box and verify the contents against the inventory included in the box. Table 1 lists the inventory of components supplied with a QFX10002.
- Pull out the packing material holding the switch in place.
- Verify the chassis components received:
Two power supplies for QFX10002-36Q and four power supplies for QFX10002-60C and QFX10002-72Q
Three fan modules
- Save the shipping carton and packing materials in case you need to move or ship the switch later.
Table 1: Inventory of Components Supplied with a QFX10002
Chassis with three fan modules and two power supplies (QFX10002-36Q) or four power supplies (QFX10002-60C or QFX10002-72Q).
Rack mount kit
Note: Spare rack mount kits are ordered as EX4500-4PST-RMK.
RJ-45 cable and RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter
Documentation roadmap card
Mounting a QFX10002 in a Rack
You can mount QFX10002 models on a four post 19-in. rack using the mounting kit provided with the switch.
For four post rack installation, the mounting kit contains two front mounting rails with two matching rear mounting blades. This configuration allows either end of the switch to be mounted flush with the rack and still be adjustable for racks with different depths.
The front and rear rack rails must be spaced between 28 in. (71.1 cm) and 31 in. (78.7 cm) front-to-back.
This topic describes:
Before You Begin Rack Installation
Before you begin mounting a QFX10002 in the rack or cabinet:
- Ensure that you understand how to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
- Verify that the site meets the requirements described in QFX10002 Site Preparation Checklist.
- Place the rack in its permanent location, allowing adequate clearance for airflow and maintenance, and secure it to the building structure.
- Read the generic General Site Guidelines and the QFX10002 Installation Overview, which include QFX10002-specifc
guidelines for lifting and moving a QFX10002:
The weight of a fully-loaded QFX10002-72Q is approximately 68.6 lbs (31.1 kg) with AC power supplies and 67.8 lbs (30.8 kg) with DC power supplies installed. The weight of a QFX10002-36Q is 54 lbs (24.5 kg) and the weight of a QFX10002-60C is 80.5 lbs (36.5 kgs).
If you are installing the QFX10002 above 60 in. (152.4 cm) from the floor, remove the power supplies and fan modules before attempting to install the switch. Unless you are using a mechanical lift, at least three people are required to perform the rack installation.
When raising the QFX10002 into the rack, have two people lift and align the switch with the rack while another person secures the switch to the rack. As when lifting any heavy object, lift most of the weight with your legs rather than your back. Keep your knees bent and your back relatively straight and avoid twisting your body as you lift. Balance the load evenly and be sure that your footing is solid.
- Remove the switch from the shipping carton.
- Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available
to mount the switch in a rack:
ESD grounding strap (not provided).
Blades, rails, or brackets (provided).
For four-post installations:
One pair of rear mounting blades. These mounting blades support the rear of the chassis and must be installed (provided).
One pair of front mounting rails. The mounting blades slide into the mounting rails to support the switch (provided).
Screws to secure the mounting rails to the chassis (12 provided).
Screws to secure the chassis and rear installation blades to the rack (16 not provided).
Appropriate screwdriver for the mounting screws (not provided).
Two power cords (QFX10002-36Q) or four power cords (QFX10002-60C and QFX10002-72Q) with plugs appropriate to your geographical location (provided).
RJ-45 cable and RJ-45 to DB-9 serial port adapter (provided).
Management host, such as a PC laptop, with a serial port (not provided).
Optional equipment: Grounding cable kit with bracket, lug, and three nuts with integrated washers.
QFX10002 devices must be supported at all four corners for four-post or in the middle with two-post installations. Mounting the chassis using only the front brackets will damage the chassis and can result in serious bodily injury.
QFX10002 switches require at least three people for installation, two people to lift the switch into place and another person to attach the switch to the rack. You can remove the power supplies and fan modules to minimize the weight before attempting to install the switch. If you are installing the QFX10002 device above 60 in. (152.4 cm) from the floor, we recommend using a mechanical lift for over head installation.
If you are mounting multiple switches on a rack, mount the switch in the lowest position of the rack first. Proceed to mount the rest of the switches from the bottom to the top of the rack to minimize the risk of the rack toppling.
Four Post Procedure
To mount the switch on four posts in a rack using the provided mounting kit:
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist and to a site ESD point.
- Decide whether the Field Replaceable Unit (FRU) end of
the switch or the port end is to be placed at the front of the rack.
Position the switch in such a manner that the
AIR OUTlabels on components are next to the hot aisle.
- Using a Philips screwdriver, remove the six screws on each side of the chassis that holds the cover to the chassis. See Figure 1 for the location of these screws. Set the screws aside.
- Align the holes in the mounting rail with the holes on one side of the chassis. See Figure 2 for the proper position and alignment of the rail for the QFX10002 device.
- Attach the mounting rail to the switch using 11 mounting screws. You may either use the screws from the mounting kits or the screws that were removed from the cover. Tighten the screws.
- Repeats steps 4 and 5 on the opposite side of the switch. A few mounting screws are extra.
- Either use a mechanical lift or have two people grasp both sides of the switch, lift it, and position it in the rack so that the front bracket is aligned with the rack holes.
- Have a another person secure the front of the switch to the rack using 8 chassis screws (and cage nuts and washers if your rack requires them.) Tighten the screws. See Figure 3 for an example of connecting the mounting rails and blades.
- Continue to support the switch while sliding the rear mounting-blades into the channel of the side mounting-rails and securing the blades to the rack. Use the 8 mounting screws (and cage nuts and washers if your rack requires them) to attach each blade to the rack. Tighten the screws. See Figure 3.
- Ensure that the switch chassis is level by verifying that all the screws on the front of the rack are aligned with the screws at the back of the rack.