Unpacking and Mounting the Optical ILA
Unpacking the Optical ILA
The optical ILA chassis is a rigid sheet-metal structure that houses the hardware components. The optical ILA is shipped in a cardboard carton, secured with foam packing material. The carton also contains an accessory kit and quick start instructions.
The optical ILA chassis is maximally protected inside the shipping carton. Do not unpack the optical ILA until you are ready to begin installation.
To unpack an optical ILA:
- Move the shipping carton to a staging area as close to the installation site as possible, but where you have enough room to remove the system components.
- Position the carton so that the arrows are pointing up.
- Open the top flaps on the shipping carton.
- Remove the accessory kit and verify the contents against the inventory of components listed in Table 1.
- Pull out the packing material holding the optical ILA in place.
- Verify the chassis components received:
Three fan modules
Two power supplies
- Save the shipping carton and packing materials in case you need to move or ship the chassis later.
Table 1: Inventory of Components Supplied with an Optical ILA
Chassis with three fan modules and two power supplies
19-in. mounting brackets attached to the chassis
Quick start guide
23-in. mounting brackets
RJ-45 cable and RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter
AC power cord (only with the AC version)
DC power connectors (only with the DC version)
Mounting an Optical ILA in a Rack or Cabinet
You can mount an optical ILA in a two-post or four-post 19-in. rack or cabinet by using the attached mounting brackets. (The remainder of this topic uses rack to mean rack or cabinet.)
Before You Begin Mounting the Optical ILA
Before you begin mounting an optical ILA in the rack:
- Ensure that you understand how to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
- Verify that the site meets the requirements described in Optical ILA Site Preparation Checklist.
- Place the rack in its permanent location, allowing adequate clearance for airflow and maintenance, and secure it to the building structure.
- Read General Safety Guidelines and Warnings, and Optical ILA Installation Safety Guidelines.
- Remove the optical ILA from the shipping carton (see Unpacking the Optical ILA).
- Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available
to mount the optical ILA in a rack:
ESD grounding strap (not provided).
One pair of 19-inch mounting brackets (attached).
One pair of 23-inch mounting brackets.
Four screws to secure the chassis and mounting blades to the rack (not provided).
Screwdriver appropriate for the rack mounting screws (not provided).
If you are mounting multiple devices in a rack, mount the device in the lowest position of the rack first. Proceed to mount the rest of the devices from the bottom to the top of the rack to minimize the risk of the rack toppling.
Mounting the Optical ILA
To mount the optical ILA on two posts or four posts in a rack by using the provided mounting kit (see Figure 1):
The 19-inch brackets are attached to the optical ILA when they are shipped. If you want to attach the 23-inch brackets, unscrew the 19-inch brackets from the chassis, and attach the 23-inch brackets by using the same screws.
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist and
to a site ESD point.
Place the rack in its permanent location, allowing adequate clearance for airflow and maintenance, and secure it to the building structure. If you are mounting multiple units in the rack, mount the heaviest unit at the bottom and mount the others from bottom to top in order of decreasing weight. AC-powered optical ILA version weighs 11.7 lb (5.30 kg) while the DC-powered optical ILA weighs 11.8 lb (5.35 kg).
- Position the optical ILA in such a manner that the FRUs are next to the hot aisle.
- Use four mounting screws (and cage nuts and washers if your rack requires them) to attach the brackets to the rack.
- Tighten the screws.