Returning an EX2200 Switch or Component for Repair or Replacement
Returning an EX2200 Switch or Component for Repair or Replacement
If you need to return an EX2200 switch or hardware component to Juniper Networks for repair or replacement, follow this procedure:
- Determine the serial number of the component. For instructions, see Locating the Serial Number on an EX2200 Switch or Component.
- Obtain an RMA number from JTAC as described in Contact Customer Support to Obtain Return Material Authorization.
Do not return any component to Juniper Networks unless you have first obtained an RMA number. Juniper Networks reserves the right to refuse shipments that do not have an RMA. Refused shipments are returned to the customer through collect freight.
- Pack the switch or component for shipping as described in Packing an EX2200 Switch or Component for Shipping.
For more information about return and repair policies, see the customer support page at https://www.juniper.net/support/guidelines.html .
Locating the Serial Number on an EX2200 Switch or Component
If you are returning an EX2200 switch or hardware component to Juniper Networks for repair or replacement, you must locate the serial number of the switch or component. You must provide the serial number to the Juniper Networks Technical Assistance Center (JTAC) when you contact them to obtain Return Materials Authorization (RMA).
If the switch is operational and you can access the CLI, you can list serial numbers for the switch and for some components with a CLI command. If you do not have access to the CLI or if the serial number for the component does not appear in the command output, you can locate the serial number ID label on the physical switch (see Figure 1) or component.
If you want to find the serial number on the physical switch component, you will need to remove the component from the switch chassis, for which you must have the required parts and tools available.
Listing the Switch and Components Details with the CLI
To list the switch and switch components and their serial numbers, enter the following CLI command:
user@switch> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory: Item Version Part number Serial number Description Chassis CV0209096579 EX2200-24P-4G Routing Engine 0 REV 2A 750-026464 CV0209096579 EX2200-24P-4G, POE FPC 0 REV 2A 750-026464 CV0209096579 EX2200-24P-4G, POE CPU BUILTIN BUILTIN FPC CPU PIC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN 24x 10/100/1000 Base-T PIC 1 REV 2A 750-026464 CV0209096579 4x GE SFP Power Supply 0 PS 550W AC Fan Tray Fan Tray
Locating the Chassis Serial Number ID Label on an EX2200 Switch
EX2200 switches have serial number ID labels located on the rear panel of the chassis (see Figure 1).
Contact Customer Support to Obtain Return Material Authorization
If you are returning a device or hardware component to Juniper Networks for repair or replacement, obtain a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number from Juniper Networks Technical Assistance Center (JTAC).
After locating the serial number of the device or hardware component you want to return, open a service request with Juniper Networks Technical Assistance Center (JTAC) on the Web or by telephone.
Before you request an RMA number from JTAC, be prepared to provide the following information:
Your existing service request number, if you have one
Serial number of the component
Your name, organization name, telephone number, fax number, and shipping address
Details of the failure or problem
Type of activity being performed on the device when the problem occurred
Configuration data displayed by one or more show commands
You can contact JTAC 24 hours a day, seven days a week on the Web or by telephone:
Service Request Manager: https://support.juniper.net/support
Telephone: +1-888-314-JTAC (+1-888-314-5822), toll free in U.S., Canada, and Mexico
For international or direct-dial options in countries without toll free numbers, see https://support.juniper.net/support
If you are contacting JTAC by telephone, enter your 12-digit service request number followed by the pound (#) key for an existing case, or press the star (*) key to be routed to the next available support engineer.
The support representative validates your request and issues an RMA number for return of the component.
Packing an EX2200 Switch or Component for Shipping
If you are returning an EX2200 switch or component to Juniper Networks for repair or replacement, pack the item as described in this topic.
Before you begin, ensure that you have retrieved the original shipping carton and packing materials. Contact your JTAC representative if you do not have these materials, to learn about approved packing materials. See Contact Customer Support to Obtain Return Material Authorization.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
Antistatic bag, one for each switch or component
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
Packing a Switch for Shipping
To pack a switch for shipping:
- On the console or other management device connected to
the switch, enter the CLI operational mode and issue the following
command to shut down the switch software:
user@switch> request system halt
Wait until a message appears on the console confirming that the operating system has halted.
- Disconnect power from the switch by performing one of
If the power source outlet has a power switch, set it to the OFF (0) position.
If the power source outlet does not have a power switch, gently pull out the plug end of the power cord connected to the power source outlet.
- Remove the cables that connect the switch to all external devices. See Disconnect a Fiber-Optic Cable.
- Remove all optical transceivers installed in the switch. See Remove a Transceiver.
- If the switch is mounted on a wall or on two posts, have one person hold the switch while another person unscrews and removes the mounting screws.
- Use the Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2 to remove the screws.
- Remove the switch from the wall, rack, cabinet, or desk and place the switch in an antistatic bag.
- Slip on the end caps of the packaging foam on both sides of the switch.
- Place the switch in the shipping carton.
- Place the packing foam on top of and around the switch.
- If you are returning accessories or FRUs with the switch, pack them as instructed in Packing Switch Components for Shipping.
- Close the top of the cardboard carton and seal it with packing tape.
- Write the RMA number on the exterior of the carton to ensure proper tracking.
Packing Switch Components for Shipping
To pack and ship switch components:
Place individual components in antistatic bags.
Ensure that the components are adequately protected with packing materials and packed so that the pieces are prevented from moving around inside the carton.
Close the top of the cardboard shipping carton and seal it with packing tape.
Write the RMA number on the exterior of the carton to ensure proper tracking.