Contacting Customer Support and Returning the Chassis or Components
Returning a Hardware Component to Juniper Networks, Inc.
In the event of a hardware failure, please contact Juniper Networks, Inc. to obtain a Return Material Authorization (RMA) number. This number is used to track the returned material at the factory and to return repaired or new components to the customer as needed.
Do not return any component to Juniper Networks, Inc. unless you have first obtained an RMA number. Juniper Networks, Inc. reserves the right to refuse shipments that do not have an RMA. Refused shipments are returned to the customer by collect freight.
For more information about return and repair policies, see the customer support Web page at https://support.juniper.net/support/.
For product problems or technical support issues, contact the Juniper Networks Technical Assistance Center (JTAC) by using the Service Request Manager link at https://support.juniper.net/support/ or at 1-888-314-JTAC (within the United States) or 1-408-745-9500 (from outside the United States).
To return a defective hardware component:
- Determine the part number and serial number of the defective component.
- Obtain an RMA number from the Juniper Networks Technical Assistance Center (JTAC). You can send e-mail or telephone as described above.
- Provide the following information in your e-mail message
or during the telephone call:
Part number and serial number of component
Your name, organization name, telephone number, and fax number
Description of the failure
- The support representative validates your request and issues an RMA number for return of the component.
- Pack the component for shipment.
Locating the Serial Number on a ACX2200 Chassis or Component
Before contacting Juniper Networks, Inc. to request a Return Materials Authorization (RMA), you must find the serial number on the router or component. To display all of the router components and their serial numbers, enter the following command-line interface (CLI) command:
user@host> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory: Item Version Part number Serial number Description Chassis ACX2200 Midplane REV 00 650-037055 HS0211334046 ACX2200 Routing Engine BUILTIN BUILTIN Routing Engine FEB 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN Forwarding Engine Processor FPC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN FPC BUILTIN PIC 0 BUILTIN BUILTIN 16x CHE1T1, RJ48 PIC 1 BUILTIN BUILTIN 8x 1GE(LAN) RJ45 PIC 2 BUILTIN BUILTIN 2x 1GE(LAN) SFP Xcvr 0 REV 01 740-031851 PLG02MD SFP-SX Xcvr 1 REV 01 740-031851 PLG3353 SFP-SX PIC 3 BUILTIN BUILTIN 2x 10GE(LAN) SFP+ Xcvr 1 REV 01 740-021310 C10F99166 SFPP-10GE-SR
Most components also have a small rectangular serial number ID label (see Figure 1) attached to the component body.
ACX2200 Chassis Serial Number Label
The chassis serial number is located on the rear of the chassis (see Figure 2).
Guidelines for Packing Hardware Components for Shipment
To pack and ship individual components:
When you return components, make sure they are adequately protected with packing materials and packed so that the pieces are prevented from moving around inside the carton.
Use the original shipping materials if they are available.
Place individual components in antistatic bags.
Write the RMA number on the exterior of the box to ensure proper tracking.
Do not stack any of the hardware components.
Packing the ACX Series Router for Shipment
To pack the router for shipment:
- Retrieve the shipping box and packing materials in which the router was originally shipped. If you do not have these materials, contact your Juniper Networks representative about approved packaging materials.
- On the console or other management device connected to
the Routing Engine, enter CLI operational mode and issue the following
command to shut down the router software.
user@host> request system halt
Wait until a message appears on the console confirming that the operating system has halted.
For more information about the command, see the CLI Explorer.
- Attach an ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist and connect the strap to one of the ESD points on the chassis.
- Shut down power to the router by pressing the AC input
switch or DC circuit breaker for all power supplies to the off (
- Disconnect power from the router.
- Remove the cables that connect to all external devices.
- Remove all field replaceable units (FRUs) from the router.
- Remove the router from the rack. One person should grasp the router while a second person unscrews and removes the mounting screws from the rack. One lifter can then move the router to the shipping container.
- Place the router in the shipping container.
- Cover the router with an ESD bag and place the packing foam on top of and around the router.
- Replace the accessory box on top of the packing foam.
- Securely tape the box closed.
- Write the RMA number on the exterior of the box to ensure proper tracking.