Removing an Uplink Module from an EX4300 Switch
The uplink module in EX4300 switches is hot-removable and hot-insertable field-replaceable unit (FRU): You can remove and replace it without powering off the switch or disrupting switch functions.
Before you begin removing an uplink module from the switch:
Ensure that you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage (see Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage).
If there are any transceivers installed in the uplink module, remove them before you remove the uplink module. For instructions on removing transceivers, see Removing a Transceiver.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
ESD grounding strap
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
A replacement uplink module or cover panel
An antistatic bag or antistatic mat
We recommend that you install either a replacement uplink module or a cover panel in the empty module slot to prevent chassis overheating and dust accumulation.
- Take the uplink module offline by issuing the following
user@switch> request chassis pic offline fpc-slot slot-number pic-slot slot-number
- Wrap and fasten one end of an ESD wrist strap around your bare wrist, and connect the other end of the strap to the ESD point on the switch.
- Loosen both captive screws on the faceplate of the uplink
module by using your fingers. If you are unable to unscrew the captive
screws by using your fingers, use the screwdriver.
Do not pull the uplink module out of the module slot by holding the faceplate of the uplink module.
- 48-port EX4300 switches except EX4300-48MP and EX4300-48MP-S switches—Hold both the ejector handles or the captive screws on the uplink module and gently pull the uplink module toward you and out of the module slot.
- EX4300-48MP and EX4300-48MP-S switches—Hold the ejector handle on the uplink module and gently pull the uplink module toward you and out of the module slot.
- Place the uplink module in an antistatic bag or on an antistatic mat placed on a flat, stable surface.
- If you are not replacing the uplink module, install the
cover panel over the slot.
After you have removed an uplink module, wait for at least 5 seconds before you install an uplink module. If you do not wait for at least 5 seconds, the interfaces on the uplink module might not come up.
The procedure is the same for EX4300-48MP and EX4300-48MP-S switches.