Installing a 16-Port QSFP+ Front Card in a QFX3008-I Interconnect Device
You can install up to eight 16-port QSFP+ front cards in a QFX3008-I
Interconnect device. The front cards are installed vertically in the
front of the chassis in the slots labeled
7. See Slot Numbering for a QFX3008-I Interconnect Device.
Do not lift modules by holding the ejector levers. The levers cannot support the weight of the module. Lifting the module by the levers might bend the levers, and the bent levers prevent the board from being properly seated in the chassis.
You can install front cards in any slot. You do not have to install the front cards in serial order.
Before you begin installing a front card in a QFX3008-I Interconnect device, ensure that you understand how to prevent ESD damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available to install a front card:
Electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap
Replacement front card
To install a front card in a QFX3008-I Interconnect device (see Figure 1):
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to the ESD point on the chassis.
- If the slot has a cover panel on it, rotate the knob on each side of the cover panel to the open position and remove the panel. Save the cover panel for later use.
- Taking care not to touch the leads, pins, or solder connections, pull the front card out from the bag.
- Pull both the ejector levers outward simultaneously, away from the faceplate of the front card, until they go no further.
- Turn the front card so that you can insert it in one of the vertical slots. Then hold the handle with one hand and support the base of the front card with the other hand as you align the front card with the guides inside the chassis.
- Ensuring that the card remains correctly aligned, slide
the front card into the chassis until you feel resistance.
Ensure that the ejector levers are engaged in the horizontal ejector rail. If the levers are not engaged, push the card’s faceplate just inside the hinges of the levers until the ejectors are engaged in the ejector rail.
- Push both the ejector levers simultaneously toward the
faceplate of the front card until the levers are flush against the
faceplate and are fully engaged.
Ensure that you push the ejector levers evenly and that both ejector levers are completely engaged. It is possible for the board to receive power if only one of the levers is fully closed, causing a device malfunction.
- Verify that the front card is installed correctly and
functioning normally by checking the LEDs on the faceplate of the
front card. The
POWERLED should be lit steady green a few minutes after the front card is installed.
- Verify that the new device is inserted into the fabric
using the show fabric administration inventory interconnect-devices operational mode command from the QFabric default partition CLI.
root@qfabric> show fabric administration inventory interconnect-devices Item Identifier Connection Configuration Interconnect device IC-QFX3713490033 Connected Configured QFX3713490033/RE0 Connected IC-QFXB3714010454 Connected Configured QFX3714010454/RE0 Connected root@qfabric>
- From the QFabric director, enter the following configuration
mode CLI commands to remove the previous rear card from the inventory
of QFabric system components and associate the serial number of the
new rear card with the alias of the previous card.
root@fabric# delete fabric aliases interconnect-devices old-serial-numberalias-name
root@fabric# set fabric aliases interconnect-devices new-serial-numberalias-name
- Commit the changes using the commit command, which sends the configuration of the old device to the new device.