Replacing the Console or Auxiliary Cable on an MX960 Router
To use a system console to configure and manage the Routing Engine,
connect it to the
CONSOLE port on the Routing
Engine. To use a laptop, modem, or other auxiliary device, connect
it to the
AUX port on the Routing Engine. Both
ports accept a cable with an RJ-45 connector. One RJ-45/DB-9 cable
is provided with the router. If you want to connect a device to both
ports, you must supply another cable.
To replace a cable connected to a management console or auxiliary device:
- Attach an ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist and connect the strap to one of the ESD points on the chassis.
- Press the tab on the connector, and pull the connector straight out of the port.
- Disconnect the cable from the console or auxiliary device.
- Plug the RJ-45 end of the replacement serial cable into
AUXport. Figure 1 shows the external device ports on the Routing Engine.
- Plug the female DB-9 end into the console or auxiliary device's serial port.