Powering On a QFX3100 Director Device
Before you power on the QFX3100 Director device, ensure that:
All required QFX3100 Director device components are installed.
You understand how to protect the QFX3100 Director device from electrostatic damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available to power on the QFX3100 Director device:
An external management device such as a PC to monitor the startup process—For connecting a management device to the console port, see Connecting a QFX Series Device to a Management Console. For connecting a management device to the management port, see Connecting a QFX3100 Director Device to a Network for Out-of-Band Management.
You cannot use the management (
MGMT) port to perform the initial configuration of the QFX3100 Director device. You must configure the management ports before you can successfully connect to the QFX3100 Director device using these ports. See Performing the QFabric System Initial Setup on a QFX3100 Director Group.
When you power on the QFX3100 Director devices in the Director group for the first time the first device to be powered on assumes the Director Group 0 (dg0) role. The second device to be powered on assumes the Director Group 1 (dg1`) role.
To power on the QFX3100 Director device:
- Ensure that the power supplies are fully inserted in the QFX3100 Director device and that each of their handles is flush against the faceplate.
- Ensure that the source power cord is inserted securely into the appliance inlet for each AC power supply.
- Switch on the site circuit breakers.
- Press the power switch on the rear panel of the QFX3100
Director device to power on the device.
Pressing the power switch momentarily either causes the system to power on or causes a graceful shutdown. Pressing the power switch for 4 seconds or longer causes an abrupt power shutdown.
- Observe the power supply faceplate LEDs. If the power supply is installed correctly and functioning normally, the AC power supply LED is green.
- On the external management device, monitor the startup process to ensure that the system boots properly.
After you power on a power supply, wait for at least 60 seconds before you turn it off. After you power off a power supply, wait for at least 60 seconds before you turn it back on.