Mounting a QFX3100 Director Device on Four Posts in a Rack or Cabinet
You can mount a QFX3100 Director device on four posts of a 19-in. rack or cabinet by using the adjustable rear mounting brackets provided. (The remainder of this topic uses “rack” to mean “rack or cabinet.”)
Before mounting the QFX3100 Director device on four posts in a rack:
Verify that the site meets the requirements described in Site Preparation Checklist for a QFX3100 Director Device.
Place the rack in its permanent location, allowing adequate clearance for airflow and maintenance, and secure it to the building structure.
Remove the QFX3100 Director device from the shipping carton (see Unpacking a QFX3100 Director Device).
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
Electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap (provided).
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2.
Screws to secure the chassis and mounting brackets to the rack (not provided).
One pair of adjustable rear mounting brackets (provided). These mounting brackets support the rear of the chassis, and must be installed.
Screws to attach the mounting brackets to the chassis (provided).
If you are mounting multiple units on a rack, mount the heaviest unit at the bottom of the rack and mount the other units from the bottom of the rack to the top in decreasing order of the weight of the units.
To mount the QFX3100 Director device on four posts in a rack:
- Place the QFX3100 Director device on a flat, stable surface.
- Measure the distance between the front and rear rack rails. Using this measurement, attach the adjustable rear mounting brackets on the chassis using the provided screws.
- Flip the hinged rack-mounting plates at the end of the
The device weighs approximately 41.2 lb (18.73 kg). Installing the QFX3100 Director device in a rack or cabinet requires one person to lift it and a second person to secure it to the rack.
- Have one person grasp both sides of the device, lift it, and position it in the rack, aligning the bracket holes with the holes in the rack.
- Have a second person install a mounting screw—and cage nut and washer if your rack requires them—in each of the four bracket holes to secure the device to the front rack rails.
- While still supporting the chassis, have the second person install a mounting screw—and cage nut and washer if your rack requires them—in each of the four bracket holes on the adjustable rear mounting brackets to secure the device to the rear rack rails.
- Ensure that the chassis is level by verifying that all the screws on the front of the rack are aligned with the screws at the back of the rack. See Figure 1.