Packing a QFX3100 Director Device or Component for Shipping
If you are returning a QFX3100 Director device or component to Juniper Networks for repair or replacement, pack the item as described in this topic.
Before you begin packing QFX3100 Director device or component, ensure that you have:
Taken the necessary precautions to prevent ESD damage (see Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage).
Retrieved the original shipping carton and packing materials. Contact your JTAC representative if you do not have these materials, to learn about approved packing materials. See Contacting Customer Support to Obtain a Return Materials Authorization for a QFX Series Device or Component.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
Antistatic bag, one for each component
Electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
Packing a QFX3100 Director Device for Shipping
To pack a QFX3100 Director device for shipping:
- Attach the grounding strap to your bare wrist and to a site ESD point.
- Power down the device. See Powering Off a QFX3100 Director Device.
- Disconnect power from the device by performing one of
If the power source outlet has a power switch, set it to the OFF (O) position.
If the power source outlet does not have a power switch, gently pull out the male end of the power cord connected to the power source outlet.
- Remove the cables that connect the device to all external devices.
- Have one person support the weight of the device while another person unscrews and removes the mounting screws. Use the Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2 to remove the screws.
- Remove the device from the rack or cabinet (see Chassis Lifting Guidelines for a QFX3100 Director Device) and place the device in an antistatic bag.
- Place the device in the shipping carton.
- Place the packing foam on top of and around the device.
- If you are returning accessories or FRUs with the device, pack them as instructed in Packing QFX3100 Director Device Components for Shipping.
- Replace the accessory box on top of the packing foam.
- Close the top of the cardboard shipping box and seal it with packing tape.
- Write the RMA number on the exterior of the box to ensure proper tracking.
Packing QFX3100 Director Device Components for Shipping
Do not stack device components. Return individual components in separate boxes if they do not fit together on one level in the shipping box.
To pack and ship QFX3100 Director device components:
Place individual FRUs in antistatic bags.
Ensure that the components are adequately protected with packing materials and packed so that the pieces are prevented from moving around inside the carton.
Close the top of the cardboard shipping box and seal it with packing tape.
Write the RMA number on the exterior of the box to ensure proper tracking.