Remove a Fan Module from a QFX5120 Switch
We ship QFX5120-32C switches with 5+1 redundant fans preinstalled in the rear panel. We ship QFX5120-48T, QFX5120-48Y, and QFX5120-48YM switches with 4+1 redundant fans preinstalled in the rear panel. The fan modules are hot-removable and hot-insertable field-replaceable units (FRUs) installed in the rear panel of the switch: You can remove and replace them without powering off the switch or disrupting switch functions.
Before you remove a fan module in from the switch, ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
Number 2 Phillips (+) screwdriver—not provided
An antistatic bag or an antistatic mat—not provided
A replacement fan module
- Place the antistatic bag or the antistatic mat on a flat, stable surface.
- Loosen the captive screws on the front faceplate of the
fan module by using the screwdriver.
To prevent injury, do not touch the fan with your hands or any tools as you slide the fan module out of the chassis—the fan might still be running.
- Grasp the handle on the fan module and pull it firmly to slide the fan module out of the chassis. Figure 1 shows how to remove a fan module from a QFX5120-32C switch. Figure 3 shows how to remove a fan module from a QFX5120-48T or QFX5120-48Y switch. Figure 2 shows how to remove a fan module from a QFX5120-48YM switch.
- Place the fan module in the antistatic bag or on the antistatic
mat placed on a flat, stable surface.
You must install all the fan modules and they must be operational for optimal functioning of the switch.
Do not mix:
Fan modules with different airflow directions in the same chassis.
Fan modules and power supplies with different airflow directions in the same chassis.
- Install the replacement fan.