Mount a QFX5120-48Y or QFX5120-48T Switch in a Recessed Position From the Front Posts of a Rack or Cabinet
You can mount a QFX5120-48Y and QFX5120-48T switch on four posts of a 19-in. rack or a 19-in. cabinet by using a rack mount kit. (The remainder of this topic uses rack to mean rack or cabinet). You can mount QFX5120-48Y and QFX5120-48T switches in a recessed position inside the rack.
This topic describes the procedure to mount QFX5120-48Y and QFX5120-48T switches in a recessed position from the front posts of a rack. If you want to mount the switch flush with the front posts of a rack or cabinet, see Mount a QFX5120-48Y or QFX5120-48T Switch Flush with the Front Posts of a Rack or Cabinet.
To ensure that the protective earthing terminal is accessible, ensure that the rack is 29.5 in. (75 cm) through 32.5 in. (82.5 cm) deep if you are mounting the switch 2 in. recessed from the rack front on four posts of a rack.
Before mounting a QFX5120-48Y or QFX5120-48T switch:
Verify that the site meets the requirements described in Site Preparation Checklist for QFX5120 Switches.
Place the rack in its permanent location, allowing adequate clearance for airflow and maintenance, and secure the rack to the building structure.
Ensure that you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage (see Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage).
Remove the switch from the shipping carton (see Unpack the QFX5120 Switch).
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
Number 2 Phillips (+) screwdriver—not provided
Screws to secure the mounting brackets to the rack—not provided
Electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap—not provided
Front mounting bracket assembly for mounting the switch flush with the front posts of a rack—2 (provided with the rack mount kit)
The front mounting bracket assembly is made up of a side rail to which an L-shaped bracket is attached.
Recessed mounting brackets for mounting the switch in a recessed position from the front posts of a rack—2 (provided with the rack mount kit)
Flat head 4x6-mm Phillips screws for attaching the front mounting brackets to the chassis—12 (provided with the rack mount kit)
Flat head 4-40 Phillips screws for attaching the recessed mounting brackets to the side rails—6 (provided with the rack mount kit)
Rear mounting brackets—2 (provided with the rack mount kit)
One person must be available to lift the switch while another person secures the switch to the rack.
If you are mounting multiple units on a rack, mount the heaviest unit at the bottom of the rack, and then mount the other units from the bottom of the rack to the top in decreasing order of the weight of the units.
To mount a QFX5120-48Y or QFX5120-48T switch:
- Place the switch on a flat, stable surface.
- Unscrew and detach the L-shaped bracket from the side
rail in the front mounting bracket assembly provided with the rack
mount kit (see Figure 1).
Figure 1: Unscrew and Detach the L-shaped Bracket from the Side Rail1—Side rail2—L-shaped bracket
- Attach the recessed mounting bracket provided with the
rack mount kit to the side rail by using the flat head 4-40 Phillips
screws provided with the rack mount kit (see Figure 2).
Figure 2: Attach the Recessed Mounting Bracket to the Side Rail1—Side rail2—Recessed mounting bracket
- Align the recessed mounting bracket assembly along the side panel of the switch.
- Insert the flat head 4x6-mm Phillips screws for attaching the recess mounting bracket assembly into the aligned holes on the chassis (see Figure 3 and Figure 4). Tighten the screws.
- Wrap and fasten one end of the ESD wrist strap around your bare wrist, and connect the other end of the strap to a site ESD point.
- Have one person grasp both sides of the switch, lift the switch, and position it in the rack, aligning the holes of the mounting brackets with the threaded holes in the front post of the rack. Align the bottom hole in both the mounting brackets with a hole in each rack rail, making sure that the chassis is level.
- Have a second person secure the front of the switch to the rack by using the screws appropriate for your rack. Tighten the screws (see Figure 5 and Figure 6).
- Slide the rear mounting bracket blades into the side rails of the front mounting brackets attached to the switch chassis (see Figure 7 and Figure 8).
- Ensure that the chassis is level. Align the holes of the rear mounting brackets with the threaded holes in the rear post of the rack. Align the bottom hole in both the mounting brackets with a hole in each rack rail. Align the bottom hole in both the rear mounting brackets with the bottom hole in the front mounting brackets.
- Secure the rear mounting brackets to the rear post of the rack by using screws appropriate for your rack (see Figure 7 and Figure 8).
We recommend that you install covers in all unused power supply slots.