Packing a QFX5100 Device or Component for Shipping
If you are returning a QFX5100 switch or component to Juniper Networks for repair or replacement, pack the item as described in this topic.
Before you pack a QFX5100 switch or component:
Ensure that you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Retrieve the original shipping carton and packing materials. Contact your JTAC representative if you do not have these materials, to learn about approved packing materials. See Contacting Customer Support to Obtain a Return Materials Authorization for a QFX Series Device or Component.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
ESD grounding strap.
Antistatic bag, one for each component.
If you are returning the chassis, an appropriate screwdriver for the mounting screws used on your rack or cabinet.
Packing a QFX5100 Switch for Shipping
To pack a QFX5100 switch for shipping:
- Power down the switch and remove the power cables. See Powering Off a QFX5100 Device.
- Remove the cables that connect the QFX5100 switch to all external devices.
- Remove all field-replaceable units (FRUs) from the switch.
- Have one person support the weight of the switch while another person unscrews and removes the mounting screws.
- Remove the switch from the rack or cabinet (see QFX5100 Installation Safety Guidelines) and place the switch in an antistatic bag.
- Place the switch in the shipping carton.
- Place the packing foam on top of and around the switch.
- If you are returning accessories or FRUs with the switch, pack them as instructed in Packing QFX5100 Switch Components for Shipping.
- Replace the accessory box on top of the packing foam.
- Close the top of the cardboard shipping box and seal it with packing tape.
- Write the RMA number on the exterior of the box to ensure proper tracking.
Packing QFX5100 Switch Components for Shipping
Do not stack switch components. Return individual components in separate boxes if they do not fit together on one level in the shipping box.
To pack and ship QFX5100 switch components:
Place individual FRUs in antistatic bags.
Ensure that the components are adequately protected with packing materials and packed so that the pieces are prevented from moving around inside the carton.
Close the top of the cardboard shipping box and seal it with packing tape.
Write the RMA number on the exterior of the box to ensure proper tracking.