Mounting a QFX3600 or QFX3600-I Device on Two Posts in a Rack or Cabinet
You can mid-mount a QFX3600 or QFX3600-I device on two posts of a 19-in. rack or cabinet by using the mounting brackets provided with the device. (The remainder of this topic uses “rack” to mean “rack or cabinet.”)
You can also mount the device on four posts of a four-post rack by using the mounting brackets provided with the device. See Mounting a QFX3600 or QFX3600-I Device on Four Posts in a Rack or Cabinet.
The holes in the mounting brackets are placed at 1 U (1.75 in., or 4.45 cm.) apart so that the device can be mounted in any rack that provides holes spaced at that distance.
Before mounting a QFX3600 or QFX3600-I device on two posts in a rack:
Ensure you understand how to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Verify that the site meets the requirements described in Site Preparation Checklist for a QFX3600 or QFX3600-I Device.
Place the rack in its permanent location, allowing adequate clearance for airflow and maintenance, and secure it to the building structure.
Read General Safety Guidelines and Warnings, with particular attention to Chassis Lifting Guidelines for a QFX3600 or QFX3600-I Device.
Remove the device from the shipping carton (see Unpacking a QFX3600 or QFX3600-I Device).
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
ESD grounding strap (provided)
One pair of mounting brackets depending on how you want to mount the device (provided)
Use the front/rear mounting brackets (part number 540-038579) to front-mount or rear-mount the device.
Use the mid-mounting brackets (part number 540-038665) to mid-mount the device.
6 Phillips 4x6-mm pan-head mounting screws (provided)
Four screws to secure the chassis to the rack (not provided)
Appropriate screwdriver for the mounting screws (not provided)
One person must be available to lift the device while another secures the device to the rack.
If you are mounting multiple device on a rack, mount a device in the bottom of the rack first and proceed to mount the rest of the devices from bottom to top.
To mount the device on two posts in a rack:
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist and to a site ESD point.
- Place the device on a flat, stable surface.
- Align the mid-mounting brackets (part number 540-038665) with the holes on the side panels of the device chassis, such that the mounting ears are in the center of the side panels. See Figure 1.
- Insert mounting screws into the aligned holes. Tighten the screws.
- Have one person grasp both sides of the device, lift the device, and position it in the rack, aligning the mounting ear holes with the threaded holes in the rack or cabinet rail. Align the bottom mounting ear hole in both the mounting brackets with a hole in each rack rail, making sure the chassis is level. See Figure 1.
- Have a second person secure the device to the rack by using the appropriate screws. Tighten the screws.
- Ensure that the device chassis is level by verifying that all screws on one side of the rack are aligned with the screws on the other side.