Removing a Power Supply from a QFX3500 Device
The QFX3500 is shipped from the factory with two 650 W power supplies pre-installed. Each power supply is a hot-removable and hot-insertable field-replaceable unit (FRU) when the second power supply is installed and running. You can install replacement power supplies without powering off the device or disrupting the switching function.
Before you remove a power supply from a QFX3500 device, ensure that you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage (see Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage).
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available to remove a power supply from a QFX3500 device:
ESD grounding strap
Antistatic bag or an antistatic mat
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2 (DC power supply)
Replace the power supply with a blank panel or new power supply within 1 minute of removal to prevent chassis overheating.
To remove a power supply from a QFX3500 device (see Figure 1):
- Place the antistatic bag or the antistatic mat on a flat, stable surface.
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist, and
connect the strap to the ESD point on the chassis.
If only one power supply is installed in your QFX3500 device, you need to power off the device before removing the power supply. See Powering Off a QFX3500 Device.
Disconnect power to the device:
AC power supply—If the AC power source outlet has a power switch, set it to the OFF (O) position. If the AC power source outlet does not have a power switch, gently pull out the male end of the power cord connected to the power source outlet.
DC power supply—Switch the circuit breaker on the panel board that services the DC circuit to the OFF position.
Remove the power source cable from the power supply faceplate:
AC power supply—Remove the power cord from the power supply faceplate by detaching the power cord retainer and gently pulling out the female end of the power cord connected to the power supply faceplate.
DC power supply—Remove the screws securing the ring lugs attached to the power source cables to the power supply using the screwdriver, and remove the power source cables from the power supply. Replace the screws on the terminals and tighten them.
- Slide the locking lever toward the handle until it stops.
- Grasp the power supply handle and pull firmly to slide the power supply halfway out of the chassis.
- Place one hand under the power supply to support it and slide it completely out of the chassis. Take care not to touch power supply components, pins, leads, or solder connections.
- Place the power supply in the antistatic bag or on the antistatic mat placed on a flat, stable surface.