Mounting a QFX10016 in a Four-Post Rack Using a Mechanical Lift
Because of the switch's size and weight, the QFX100016 can only safely be installed using a mechanical lift.
Do not install line cards in the chassis until after you mount the chassis securely on a rack or cabinet.
Before front-mounting the switch on a rack or cabinet, have a qualified technician verify that the rack is strong enough to support the switch's weight and is adequately supported at the installation site.
Before you install the switch:
Prepare the site for installation as described in QFX10000 Site Preparation Checklist.
Ensure the site has adequate clearance for both airflow and hardware maintenance as described in QFX10000 Clearance Requirements for Airflow and Hardware Maintenance.
Unpack the switch as described in Unpacking the QFX10016 Chassis.
In a four-post rack, install the mounting hardware at the desired position (see Installing the Mounting Hardware for a QFX10000).
Review chassis lifting guidelines described in Chassis and Component Lifting Guidelines.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available to install the switch:
A mechanical lift rated for 1000 lbs. (453.6 kg)
12 mounting screws appropriate for your rack
A Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2 or number 3, depending on the size of your rack-mounting screws
If you are installing more than one switch in a rack or cabinet, install the first switch at the bottom of the rack.
To install the switch using a mechanical lift (see Figure 1):
- Ensure that the rack or cabinet is placed in its permanent location and is secured to the building. Ensure that the installation site allows adequate clearance for both airflow and maintenance. For details, see QFX10000 Clearance Requirements for Airflow and Hardware Maintenance.
- Load the switch onto the lift, making sure it rests securely on the lift platform.
- Using the lift, align the switch in front of the rack, centering it in front of the base brackets.
- Lift the chassis approximately 0.75 in. (1.9 cm) above the surface of the base brackets. Align the chassis as close as possible to the base brackets.
- Carefully slide the chassis onto the adjustable base and rear brackets until the chassis flanges contact the rack rails. The mounting brackets ensure that the holes in the flanges align with the holes in the rack rails. See Figure 2.
- Move the lift away from the rack.
- Attach the chassis to the rack by installing a mounting screw through the open flange holes and rack, starting from the bottom.
- Visually inspect the alignment of the switch. If the switch is installed properly in the rack, all the mounting screws on one side of the rack are aligned with the mounting screws on the opposite side and the switch is level.
- After ensuring that the switch is aligned properly, tighten the screws using a screwdriver.
- After you install the mounting screws and securely bolt the chassis to the rack, reinstall the components in the chassis.