Install the Mounting Hardware for a PTX10004
You can install a PTX10004 router in a four-post closed frame rack or a four-post open frame rack. Install the mounting hardware on the rack before you install the router.
To mount the chassis on a four-post rack, you must first install the mounting hardware in the rack. The PTX10004 router comes with a four-piece set of brackets that supports the chassis in the rack. You can order the rack mount kit, JNP10004-RMK-4POST, as a spare.
Two-post installation racks are not supported.
The rack mount kit contains the following main pieces:
One mounting tray—The mounting tray is a solid sheet-metal shelf that supports the full weight of the router. It attaches to the front of the rack and to the two adjustable mounting blades that attach to the rear of the rack.
Two mounting blades—These adjustable mounting brackets allow you to custom fit the mounting tray to different rack depths up to 31.5 in. (800 mm)..
One safety restraint—The rear restraint ensures that the chassis is immobile in case of an earthquake.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available to install the mounting hardware:
A Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 1, 2, or 3, depending on the size of your rack screws
A Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2, to install the screws that connect the mounting tray and mounting blades
Twelve Phillips 8-32 x .375 in. flat-head screws (provided)
Sixteen rack screws appropriate for your rack to attach the mounting hardware to the rack (not provided)
When you install the mounting tray and mounting blades, the adjustable portions of the blades overlap. Use the overlap area to adjust the total bracket length to fit any of the four standard rack sizes: 19 in. (483 mm), 23.62 in. (600 mm), 30 in. (762 mm), or 31.5 in. (800 mm).
To install the mounting hardware in a four-post rack:
- Remove the rack mount kit from the shipping box.
- Decide where to place the chassis in the rack. The best practice is to mount the router in the lowest possible location when the rack is empty. See PTX10004 Rack Requirements.
- Align the mounting tray so that its front screw holes line up with the holes in the rack. Use six mounting screws appropriate for your rack to attach the mounting tray to the rack. See Figure 1.
- From the rear of the rack, slide each mounting rail into the grooves on the sides of the mounting tray so that it is level with the mounting tray. Use eight mounting screws appropriate for your rack to attach the rear rails to the rack. Make sure that the mounting rails are on the same level because if they are not, the chassis will rest at an angle.
- Ensure thatthe holes in the mounting rail overlap with
the holes in the mounting tray. Attach the left base and rear brackets
(see Figure 3):
- Insert six of the flat-head screws provided with the mounting brackets into the overlapping bracket holes on each side of the mounting tray.
- Tighten the screws fully using a number 2 Phillips screwdriver.
You will install the safety restraint after the chassis is loaded into the rack.