Removing a Network Module from a QFX3100 Director Device
QFX3100 Director devices support up to two network modules on the front panel. The network modules are field-replaceable units (FRUs) but may not be hot-swapped. You must power off the system and configure the system for the new module before installing a new network module.
Before you Power Off the Director Device
If you power off the QFX3100 Director device before configuring the new interfaces, the new interfaces will stay down or be removed from the control plane when the Director device is brought back up. If you are removing network module 1, you need to edit:
If you are removing network module 2, you need to edit:
Use the following procedure to edit the four ifcfg-ethn files.
- From root, use the vi editor to delete the HWADDR= line in each of the four files.
For example, to configure ifcfg-eth1 for Director device 1:
[root@qfabric ~]# ll /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 219 Jun 17 07:14 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 153 Jun 17 07:14 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 134 Jun 17 07:14 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 135 Jun 17 07:15 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth3 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 135 Jun 17 07:15 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth4 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 135 Jun 17 07:15 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth5 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 134 Jun 17 07:14 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth6 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 121 Jun 17 07:14 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth7 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 121 Jun 17 07:14 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth8 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 121 Jun 17 07:14 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth9 [root@dg1 ~]# [root@dg1 ~]# cat /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth2HWADDR=00:18:7D:31:19:C2 << Delete the entire line.
DEVICE=eth2 USERCTL=no SLAVE=yes MASTER=bond0 ONBOOT=yes BOOTPROTO=static PEERDNS=no NOZEROCONF=yes MTU=9000 [root@qfabric ~]#
- Save the file and repeat the process with the remaining 3 files for the Director device.
- Locate and delete the following file:
[root@qfabric ~]# rm /etc/udev/rules.d/61-persistent-net.rules
- Power off the QFX3100. See Powering Off a QFX3100 Director Device
Removing a Network Module from a Director Device
QFX3100 Director devices support up to two network modules on the front panel. The network modules are field-replaceable units (FRUs).
The Director device requires powering off before installation or removal of the network module.
Before you begin removing a network module from a QFX3100 Director device:
Ensure that you understand how to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
ESD grounding strap
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
Antistatic bag or antistatic mat
To remove a network module from a QFX3100 Director device (see Figure 1):
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to a site ESD point.
- Place the antistatic bag or the antistatic mat on a flat, stable surface.
- Power off the Director device.
- Unscrew both captive screws counterclockwise using your fingers. If you are unable to easily unscrew the captive screws with your fingers, use the screwdriver.
- Gently pull the network module toward you and out of the network module slot, being careful to keep one hand underneath the module to support it when it is removed from the chassis.
- Place the network module in the antistatic bag or on the antistatic mat.