Packing the MX960 Router for Shipment
To pack the router for shipment:
- Retrieve the shipping crate and packing materials in which the router was originally shipped. If you do not have these materials, contact your Juniper Networks representative about approved packaging materials.
- On the console or other management device connected to
the master Routing Engine, enter CLI operational mode and issue the
following command to shut down the router software. (If two Routing
Engines are installed, also issue the command on the backup Routing
user@host> request system halt
Wait until a message appears on the console confirming that the operating system has halted.
For more information about the command, see request system halt.
- Attach an ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist and connect the strap to one of the ESD points on the chassis.
- Shut down power to the router by pressing the AC input
switch or DC circuit breaker for all power supplies to the off (
- Disconnect power from the router.
- Remove the cables that connect to all external devices.
- Remove all field replaceable units (FRUs) from the router.
Remove the router from the rack:
If you are using a mechanical lift, place the lift platform under the router, unscrew and remove the mounting screws from the rack, and move the router to the shipping crate.
If you are not using a mechanical lift and the router weight is fully supported by a shelf or another router, unscrew and remove the mounting screws from the rack. Three people can then lift the router and move it to the shipping crate.
If you are not using a mechanical lift and the router weight is not fully supported by a shelf or another router, three people should grasp the router while a fourth person unscrews and removes the mounting screws from the rack. The three lifters can then move the router to the shipping container.
- Place the router in the shipping crate or onto the pallet. If on a pallet, bolt the router to the pallet.
- Cover the router with an ESD bag and place the packing foam on top of and around the router.
- Replace the accessory box on top of the packing foam.
- Securely tape the box closed or place the crate cover over the router.
- Write the RMA number on the exterior of the box to ensure proper tracking.