Grounding an MX2000 Router
To ground the router, you need the following tools:
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
ESD grounding wrist strap
Two UNC 1/4–20 nuts and washers
Grounding lug, 4-AWG for 80-A input or 6-AWG for 60-A input
Grounding cable, minimum 10 AWG wire (not provided)
You must install the MX2020 router in a restricted-access location and ensure the chassis is properly grounded at all times. The chassis has a 2-hole protective grounding terminal provided on the chassis, see Figure 1. Under all circumstances, use this grounding connection to ground the chassis. For AC powered systems, you must also use the grounding wire in the AC power cord along with the 2-hole lug ground connection. This tested system meets or exceeds all applicable EMC regulatory requirements with the 2-hole protective grounding terminal.
You ground the router by connecting a grounding cable to earth ground and then attaching it to the chassis grounding points by using two screws. To connect the grounding cable (see Figure 1):
- Attach an electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to an approved site ESD grounding point. See the instructions for your site.
- Ensure that all grounding surfaces are clean and brought to a bright finish before you make grounding connections.
- Connect the grounding cable to a proper earth ground.
- Verify that a licensed electrician has attached the cable lug provided with the router to the grounding cable.
- Attach an electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to one of the ESD points on the chassis.
- Place the grounding cable lug over one of the grounding points on the rear of the chassis. The upper pair is sized for UNC 1/4-20 nuts, and the lower pair is sized for M6 nuts.
- Secure the grounding cable lug to the grounding points, first with the washers, and then with the nuts.
- Verify that the grounding cabling is correct, that the grounding cable does not touch or block access to router components, and that it does not drape where people could trip on it.