Holding an MPC
When carrying a Modular Port Concentrator (MPC), you can hold it either vertically or horizontally.
A typical MPC can weigh 25 lb (11.34 kg) or more. Be prepared to accept the full weight of the MPC as you lift it.
To hold an MPC vertically:
- Orient the MPC so that the faceplate faces you. To verify orientation, confirm that the text on the MPC is right-side up and the electromagnetic interference (EMI) strip is on the right-hand side.
- Place one hand around the MPC faceplate about a quarter of the way down from the top edge. To avoid deforming the EMI shielding strip, do not press hard on it.
- Place your other hand at the bottom edge of the MPC.
If the MPC is horizontal before you grasp it, place your left hand around the faceplate and your right hand along the bottom edge.
To hold an MPC horizontally:
- Orient the MPC so that the faceplate faces you.
- Grasp the top edge with your left hand and the bottom edge with your right hand.
You can rest the faceplate of the MPC against your body as you carry it.
As you carry the MPC, do not bump it against anything. MPC components are fragile.
Never hold or grasp the MPC anywhere except places that this document indicates. In particular, never grasp the connector edge, especially at the power connector in the corner where the connector and bottom edges meet.
Never carry the MPC by the faceplate with only one hand.
Do not rest any edge of an MPC directly against a hard surface (see Figure 2).
Do not stack MPCs.
If you must rest the MPC temporarily on an edge while changing its orientation between vertical and horizontal, use your hand as a cushion between the edge and the surface.