Attaching Mounting Brackets to an EX-series Switch
If you are installing a switch in a rack or cabinet, you must attach mounting brackets to the switch.
An EX-series switch is shipped with one pair of mounting brackets. The holes in the mounting brackets are spaced at 1 U (1.75 in. or 4.445 cm), so the switch can be mounted in any rack that provides holes spaced at that distance.
The outer edges of the mounting brackets extend the width of an EX-series switch chassis to 19 in. (48.2 cm), and the front of the chassis extends approximately 0.5 in. (1.27 cm) beyond the mounting brackets. The spacing of rails and adjacent racks must also allow for the clearances around the switch and rack (see Clearance Requirements for Airflow and Hardware Maintenance).
Ensure you have a Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2 available to install mounting brackets on an EX-series switch chassis.
To attach each mounting bracket to an EX-series switch (see Figure 1):
- Place the EX-series switch on a flat, stable surface.
- Align the mounting brackets along the front, rear, or center of a side panel of the EX-series switch chassis depending on how you want to mount the switch in a rack or cabinet. For example, if you want to center-mount a switch, align the mounting brackets along the center of the side panel. For instructions on mounting an EX-series switch on a rack or cabinet, see Mounting an EX-series Switch on a Rack or Cabinet.
- Align the bottom hole in the mounting bracket with a hole on the side panel on the EX-series switch chassis.
- Insert one mounting screw (provided in the accessory box shipped with the switch) into each of the two aligned holes. Use a Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2 to tighten the screw to the chassis. Ensure that the other holes in the mounting bracket are aligned with the other holes in the side panel.
- Insert screws into the other holes in the mounting bracket aligned with the holes in the side panel and tighten the screws to the chassis using a Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2.
Figure 1: Attaching Mounting Brackets Along the Front of an EX-series Switch