Unpacking PTX10000 Line Cards, Routing Control Boards, and Switch Interface Boards
Orders for line cards, additional Routing and Control Boards (RCBs), and SIB components are FRUs that are shipped separately from the router chassis. The housing for the RCBs and line cards are rigid sheet-metal structures that house the electronics. SIBs have an exposed printed circuit board on one side and sheet metal on the other. All these components are shipped in a cardboard carton, secured with packing material.
The components are maximally protected inside the shipping carton. Do not unpack them until you are ready to install the components in the router chassis.
Before you unpack a component:
Ensure that you have taken the necessary precautions to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Ensure that you know how to handle and store the component. (See Handling and Storing PTX10000 Line Cards, Routing and Control Boards, and SIBs).
To unpack an RCB, a SIB, or a line card, (see Figure 1):
- Move the shipping carton to a staging area as close to the installation site as possible.
- Position the carton so that the arrows are pointing up.
- Open the top flaps on the shipping carton.
- Pull out the packing material that holds the component in place.
- Remove the component from the electrostatic bag.
- Save the shipping carton and packing materials in case you need to move or ship the RCB, SIB, or line card later.
Foam packing material
Paper packaging and electrostatic bag