Installing an MX2020 Dual-Wide MIC
To install a dual-wide MIC:
- Attach an electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to one of the ESD points on the chassis.
- Remove the septum, if necessary (see Figure 1):
- Place the MPC on a flat surface. If necessary, remove the MPC from the ADC as described in Removing an MX2020 MPC from the Adapter Card.
- Remove the four screws labeled
Son the bottom of the MPC.
- Remove the two screws labeled
Son the top of the MPC.
- Slide the septum toward you and out of the MPC.
- Store the septum and screws for later use.
- Install the MPC as described in Installing an MX2020 MPC into an Adapter Card.
- If the MIC uses fiber-optic cable, verify that a rubber safety cap is over each transceiver on the faceplate. Install a cap if necessary.
- Pull the ejector lever above both MIC slots away from the router.
- Align the rear of the MIC with the guides located at the corners of the MIC slot.
- Slide the MIC into the MIC slot until it is firmly seated
in the chassis.
Slide the MIC straight into the slot to avoid damaging the components on the MIC.
- Verify that the ejector levers are engaged by pushing them toward the router.
- If the MIC uses fiber-optic cable, remove the rubber safety
cap from each transceiver and the end of each cable.
Do not look directly into a fiber-optic transceiver or into the ends of fiber-optic cables. Fiber-optic transceivers and fiber-optic cable connected to a transceiver emit laser light that can damage your eyes.
Do not leave a fiber-optic transceiver uncovered except when inserting or removing cable. The safety cap keeps the port clean and prevents accidental exposure to laser light.
- Insert the appropriate cables into the cable connectors on the MIC.
- Arrange each cable to prevent the cable from dislodging
or developing stress points. Secure the cable so that it is not supporting
its own weight as it hangs to the floor. Place excess cable out of
the way in a neatly coiled loop.
Do not let fiber-optic cable hang free from the connector. Do not allow fastened loops of cable to dangle, which stresses the cable at the fastening point.
Avoid bending fiber-optic cable beyond its minimum bend radius. An arc smaller than a few inches in diameter can damage the cable and cause problems that are difficult to diagnose.
- Use one of the following methods to bring the MIC online:
Press the MIC offline/online button until the MIC
OK/FAILLED lights green.
Issue the following CLI command:
user@host> request chassis mic fpc-slot fpc-slot mic-slot mic-slot online
The normal functioning status LED confirms that the MIC is online. You can also verify correct MIC functioning by issuing the show chassis fpc pic-status command described in Maintaining MX2020 MICs.