Installing an SFP or XFP into an MX2000 MPC or MIC
To install an SFP or XFP:
- Attach an electrostatic discharge (ESD) grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to one of the ESD points on the chassis.
- Take each transceiver to be installed out of its electrostatic bag, and identify the slot on the component where it will be installed.
- Verify that each transceiver is covered by a rubber safety cap. If it is not, cover the transceiver with a safety cap.
- Carefully align the transceiver with the slots in the component. The connectors should face the component.
- Slide the transceiver until the connector is seated in the component slot. If you are unable to fully insert the transceiver, make sure the connector is facing the right way.
- Close the ejector handle of the transceiver.
- Remove the rubber safety cap from the transceiver and
the end of the cable. Insert the cable into the transceiver.
Do not look directly into a fiber-optic transceiver or into the ends of fiber-optic cables. Fiber-optic transceivers and fiber-optic cable connected to a transceiver emit laser light that can damage your eyes.
- Verify that the status LEDs on the component faceplate indicate that the SFP or XFP is functioning correctly. For more information about the component LEDs, see the MX Series Interface Module Reference.