Removing an HDD Module from a QFX3100 Director Device
QFX3100 Director devices have two 2-terabyte (TB) hard disk drive (HDD) module slots on the front panel. HDD modules are field-replaceable units (FRUs) and hot-swappable. At least one HDD module should always be installed in a QFX3100 Director device and the array volume should have the status of Optimal.
Athough the HDD is hot-swappable, isolate the QFX3100 Director device from the network before replacing the HDD to ensure the integrity of the remaining Director device.
Before you begin removing an HDD module from a QFX3100 Director device:
Ensure that you understand how to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
ESD grounding strap
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
Antistatic bag or antistatic mat
Replacement HDD module for the HDD module slot
To remove an HDD module from a QFX3100 Director device (see Figure 1):
Although HDD modules are hot-swappable, to ensure the maximum system integrity, the remaining module must be operational and the array volume optimal. After replacing a module, do not remove either HDD module until both array volumes are full-synchronized and optimal. Otherwise, data corruption could occur causing the drive not be recognized as part of the RAID.
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to a site ESD point.
- Place the antistatic bag or the antistatic mat on a flat, stable surface.
- Unscrew both captive screws counterclockwise using your fingers. If you are unable to unscrew the captive screws using your fingers, use the screwdriver.
- Gently pull the HDD module toward you and out of the HDD
module slot, being careful to keep one hand underneath the module
to support it when it is removed from the chassis.
If the Director device is powered on, at least one HDD module must be installed at all times. This step should only be performed when an HDD module in the other HDD slot is installed and optimal.
- Place the HDD module in the antistatic bag or on the antistatic mat.