Holding and Storing T1600 FPCs
Holding T1600 FPCs
Caution: Many components on the FPC are fragile. Failure to handle FPCs as specified in this document can cause irreparable damage.
Caution: To prevent damage when handling or carrying FPCs:
Note: An FPC configured with PICs installed can weigh as much as 15 lb (6.8 kg). Be prepared to accept the full weight of the FPC as you lift it.
As you carry the FPC, do not bump it against anything. FPC components are fragile.
Do not grasp the FPC anywhere except places that this document indicates. In particular, never grasp the connector edge, especially at the power connector in the corner where the connector and bottom edges meet (see Figure 1).
Figure 1: Do Not Grasp the Connector Edge
Do not carry the FPC by the faceplate with only one hand (see Figure 2).
Figure 2: Do Not Carry an FPC with Only One Hand
Do not rest any edge of an FPC directly against a hard surface (see Figure 3). If you must rest the FPC temporarily on an edge while changing its orientation between vertical and horizontal, use your hand as a cushion between the edge and the surface.
Figure 3: Do Not Rest the FPC on an Edge
You hold an FPC vertically when installing it into the chassis or an equipment rack. To hold an FPC vertically (see Figure 4):
- Orient the FPC so that the faceplate faces you.
- Place one hand around the FPC faceplate about a quarter of the way down from the top edge. To avoid deforming the electromagnetic interference (EMI) shielding strip, do not press hard on it.
- Place your other hand at the bottom edge of the FPC. If the FPC has heat sinks about midway between the faceplate and connector edge, place your other hand against the heat sinks.
Figure 4: Holding an FPC Vertically
Storing T1600 FPCs
When not installed in the routers, FPCs must be either stored in the container in which a spare FPC is shipped or stored horizontally with the component-side up on a flat, stable surface. When you store an FPC on a horizontal surface or in the shipping container, always place it inside an antistatic bag. Because the FPC is heavy and because antistatic bags are fragile, inserting the FPC into the bag is easier with two people. The storage procedures are as follows:
- When storing an FPC with two people, one person holds the FPC in the horizontal position with the faceplate facing their body, the other person slides the opening of the bag over the FPC connector edge.
- When storing an FPC with one person, you must insert the FPC into a bag by yourself. First lay the FPC horizontally on a flat, stable surface, component-side up. Orient the FPC with the faceplate facing you. Carefully insert the FPC connector edge into the opening of the bag, and pull the bag toward you to cover the FPC.
Caution: To prevent damage when storing FPCs: