Removing a Fan Module from a QFX3100 Director Device
QFX3100 Director devices have three fan modules on the rear panel. The fan modules are hot-removable and hot-insertable field-replaceable units (FRUs). You can remove and replace a fan module without powering off the QFX3100 Director device or disrupting QFX3100 Director device functions.
Before you begin removing a fan module from a QFX3100 Director device:
Ensure that you understand how to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
ESD grounding strap
Antistatic bag or antistatic mat
A Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
Replacement fan module for the fan module slot
To remove a fan module from a QFX3100 Director device (see Figure 1):
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to a site ESD point.
- Place the antistatic bag or the antistatic mat on a flat, stable surface.
- Unscrew both captive screws counterclockwise using your
fingers. If you are unable to easily unscrew the captive screws with
your fingers, use the screwdriver.
To avoid injury, do not touch the fan with your hands or any tools as you slide the fan module out of the chassis—the fan might still be running.
- When the fan stops spinning, grasp the fan module tightly to avoid dropping it and remove the fan module from the fan module slot.
- Place the fan module in the antistatic bag or on the antistatic mat.