Installing a Fan Module in a QFX3100 Director Device
QFX3100 Director devices have three field-replaceable unit (FRU) fan modules on the back panel. The fans are hot-removable and hot-insertable FRUs: You can remove and replace them without powering off the QFX3100 Director device or disrupting QFX3100 Director device functions.
Before you begin installing a fan module in a QFX3100 Director device:
Ensure that you understand how to prevent electrostatic discharge (ESD) damage. See Prevention of Electrostatic Discharge Damage.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
ESD grounding strap
To install a fan module in a QFX3100 Director device (see Figure 1):
- Attach the ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist, and connect the strap to a site ESD point.
- Remove the fan module from its bag.
- Ensure that the fan module is properly aligned with the
fan module slot.
To avoid injury, do not touch the fan with your hands or any tools as you slide the fan module into the chassis—the fan may start running.
- Insert the fan module into the fan module slot, and gently push the module all the way into the slot until the module is seated flush in the fan module slot.
- Tighten both screws on the fan module using your fingers.