Unpacking an EX 8200 series Switch
After you prepare the installation site as described in Site Preparation Checklist for an EX 8200 series Switch, you may unpack the switch.
Note: The switch is maximally protected inside the shipping box. Do not unpack it until you are ready to begin installation.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available to unpack the EX 8200 switch:
- A 7/16-in. or 11-mm open-end or socket wrench to remove the bracket bolts from the shipping pallet
- A box cutter or packing knife to slice open the tape that seals the top of the box
The switch ships in a cardboard box that has a two-layer wooden pallet base with foam cushioning between the layers. The switch chassis is bolted to the pallet base.
The EX 8208 chassis ships with the Switch Fabric and Routing Engine (SRE) module(s), Switch Fabric (SF) module, fan tray, and power supplies for the configuration you ordered already installed. Any line cards ordered ship separately.
The EX 8216 chassis ships with the Routing Engine (RE) module(s), SF modules, fan trays, and power supplies for the configuration you ordered already installed. Any line cards ordered ship separately.
- Move the shipping box to a staging area as close to the installation site as possible. For an EX 8208 switch, make sure there is enough space to remove components from the chassis if necessary (for example, if you do not have a mechanical lift to use when you install the switch). While the chassis is bolted to the pallet, you can use a forklift or pallet jack to move it.
- Position the shipping box with the arrows pointing up.
- Open the four pallet fasteners near the bottom
of the shipping box that attach the cardboard box to the wooden pallet.
To open a pallet fastener, squeeze together the two ridges (“fins”)
in the depression in the latch, then slide the pallet fastener out
of the cardboard box slot in which it is inserted. See Figure 1.
Figure 1: Pallet Fastener
- Carefully slice open the tape that holds the top of the cardboard box closed and open the top of the box.
- Remove the cardboard accessory box from the center of the foam padding.
- Remove the foam padding from the top of the box.
- Slide the cardboard box off the pallet.
- Remove the plastic cover from the switch chassis.
- Use a 7/16-in. or 11-mm open-end or socket wrench to remove the four sets of bracket bolts that secure the chassis to the shipping pallet.
- Unpack the accessory box and lay out the contents so that they are ready for use.
- Verify that your order includes all appropriate parts. See Parts Inventory (Packing List) for an EX 8208 Switch and Parts Inventory (Packing List) for an EX 8216 Switch.
- Store the brackets and bolts inside the accessory box.
- Save the shipping box, pallet, and packing materials in case you need to move or ship the switch at a later time.
Figure 2: Unpacking an EX 8208 Switch
Figure 3: Unpacking an EX 8216 Switch