Removing an EX 8208 Switch from a Rack or Cabinet
If you want to move an installed EX 8208 switch to another location, you need to remove it from the rack or cabinet in which it is installed. In a four-post rack, an installed switch rests on adjustable mounting brackets bolted to the rack. In a two-post rack, an installed switch rests on the lip of the power cord tray installed in the rack. The front-mounting brackets (“ears”) attached to the chassis are also bolted to the rack.
Note: When you remove multiple switches from a rack or cabinet, remove the switch in the top of the rack or cabinet first and proceed to remove the rest of the switches from top to bottom.
Caution: At least three people must be available to lift an unloaded switch chassis (all components removed) out of a rack or cabinet. For instructions on removing a switch without using a mechanical lift, see Removing an EX 8200 series Switch from a Rack or Cabinet Without Using a Mechanical Lift.
Before removing an EX 8208 switch from a rack or a cabinet:
- Ensure that the rack or cabinet is stable and secured to the building.
- Ensure that there is enough space to place the removed switch in its new location and along the path to the new location.
- Read General Safety Guidelines and Warnings for EX-series Switches, with particular attention to Chassis Lifting Guidelines for EX 8200 series Switches.
- Ensure that the switch has been safely powered off (see Powering Off an EX 8200 series Switch) and that you have unplugged (disconnected) the power cords.
- Ensure that you have disconnected any cables or wires attached to the switch ports.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available to remove the switch:
- A Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2 or number 3, depending on the size of your rack mounting screws, for mounting the switch on a rack or cabinet.
- A Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 1, to remove the power supplies from the chassis if you are mounting the switch without using a mechanical lift
To remove an EX 8200 series switch from a rack or cabinet:
- Use the appropriate Phillips (+) screwdriver to remove the mounting screws that attach the chassis front-mounting brackets to the rack or cabinet.
- Place the removed screws in a labeled bag. You will need them when you reinstall the chassis.
- Lift the chassis from the rack or cabinet and place it on a mechanical lift. For instructions on how to remove the chassis using a mechanical lift, see Removing an EX 8200 series Switch from a Rack or Cabinet Using a Mechanical Lift. If a mechanical lift is not available, remove all components and manually lift the empty chassis out of the rack. For instructions on removing the chassis without using a mechanical lift, see Removing an EX 8200 series Switch from a Rack or Cabinet Without Using a Mechanical Lift.