Removing a Fan Module from an EX4650 Switch
The fan module in EX4650 switches is a hot-removable and hot-insertable field-replaceable unit (FRU) installed in the rear panel of the switch: You can remove and replace it without powering off the switch or disrupting switch functions.
Ensure that you have the following parts and tools available:
Phillips (+) screwdriver, number 2
An antistatic bag or an antistatic mat
A replacement fan module
The fan module slots are at the left side of the rear panel. Figure 1 shows how to remove a fan module.
- Place the antistatic bag or the antistatic mat on a flat, stable surface.
- Loosen the captive screws on the front faceplate of the
fan module by using your fingers. If you are unable to loosen the
captive screws by using your fingers, use the screwdriver.
To prevent injury, do not touch the fan with your hands or any tools as you slide the fan module out of the chassis—the fan might still be running.
- Grasp the handle on the fan module and pull it firmly to slide the fan module out of the chassis.
- Place the fan module in the antistatic bag or on the antistatic mat placed on a flat, stable surface.
- Install the replacement fan.
- Tighten the captive screws on the faceplate of the fan module by using your fingers. If you are unable to tighten the captive screws by using your fingers, use the screwdriver.
Both the fan modules must be installed and operational for optimal functioning of the switch.