Installing an MX960 AS MLC
You can install up to eight Application Services Modular Line Cards (AS MLCs) vertically in the front of the MX960 router. The AS MLCs are hot-insertable and hot-removable. An empty AS MLC weighs 10.5 lb (4.76 kg). A fully configured AS MLC can weigh up to 15.27 lb (6.93 kg). Be prepared to accept its full weight.
To install an AS MLC (see Figure 1):
- Attach an ESD grounding strap to your bare wrist and connect the strap to one of the ESD points on the chassis.
- Place the AS MLC on an antistatic mat.
- Take the AS MSC and AS MXC (the modular cards) to be installed in the AS MLC out of its electrostatic bag. The AS MSC must be inserted in the top slot and the AS MXC in the bottom slot.
- Install the AS MSC and AS MXC into the appropriate slot on the AS MLC.
- Locate the slots in the card cage in which you plan to install the AS MLC.
- Orient the AS MLC so that the faceplate faces you.
- Lift the AS MLC into place, and carefully align the sides
of the AS MLC with the guides inside the card cage.
When the AS MLC is out of the chassis, do not hold it by the ejector handles, bus bars, or edge connectors. They cannot support its weight.
- Slide the AS MLC all the way into the card cage until you feel resistance.
- Grasp both ejector handles, and rotate them clockwise simultaneously until the AS MLC is fully seated.
- Use one of the following methods to bring the AS MLC online:
Press and hold the AS MLC online/offline button until the green
OKLED next to the button lights steadily, in about 5 seconds. The LEDs and online/offline button for each AS MLC are located directly above it on the craft interface.
Issue the following CLI command:
user@host>request chassis fpc slot slot-number online
For more information about the command, see the CLI Explorer.
OKLED lights steadily, wait at least 30 seconds before removing the AS MLC again, removing an AS MLC from a different slot, or inserting an AS MLC in a different slot.
You can also verify correct AS MLC and AS MSC or AS MXC functioning by issuing the show chassis fpc and show chassis fpc pic-status.