Performing the Initial Software Configuration for the PTX1000
You must perform the initial configuration of the PTX1000 through the console port by using the Junos OS command-line interface (CLI).
Before you begin connecting and configuring a PTX1000, set the following parameter values on the management console or console server:
To connect and configure the PTX1000 from the console:
- Connect the console port to a laptop or PC by using the
supplied RJ-45 cable and RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter. The console port (labeled
CON) is located on the management panel of the PTX1000 (see Connecting the PTX1000 to a Management Console for more information).
- Log in as root. There is no
password. If the software boots before you connected to the console
port, you might need to press the
Enterkey for the prompt to appear.
- Start the CLI.
- Enter configuration mode.
- Add a password to the root administration user account.
root@# set system root-authentication plain-text-password
New password: password
Retype new password: password
- (Optional) Configure the name of the PTX1000. If the name
includes spaces, enclose the name in quotation marks (“ ”).
root@# set system host-name host-name
- Configure the default gateway.
root@# set routing-options static route default next-hop address
- Configure the IP address and prefix length for the management
root@# set interfaces em0 unit 0 family inet address address/prefix-length
Although the CLI permits you to configure two management Ethernet interfaces within the same subnet, only one interface is usable and supported at a time.
The RJ-45 management port em0 and SFP management port em1 are both labeled
- (Optional) Configure the static routes to remote prefixes
with access to the management port.
root@# set routing-options static route remote-prefix next-hop destination-ip retain no-readvertise
- Enable the Telnet service.
root@# set system services telnet
When Telnet is enabled, you cannot log in to a PTX1000 through Telnet by using root credentials. Root login is allowed only for SSH access.
- Commit the configuration to activate it on the PTX1000.