Configuring Junos OS on the EX4600
You must perform the initial configuration of the EX4600 switch through the console port using the command-line interface (CLI).
Before you begin connecting and configuring an EX4600 switch, set the following parameter values on the console server or PC:
To connect and configure the switch from the console:
- Connect the console port to a laptop or PC using the supplied
RJ-45 cable and RJ-45 to DB-9 adapter. The console (
CON) port is located on the management panel of the switch.
- Log in as root. There is no
password. If the software booted before you connected to the console
port, you might need to press the Enter key for the prompt to appear.
- Start the CLI.
- Enter configuration mode.
- Add a password to the root administration user account.
root@# set system root-authentication plain-text-password
New password: password
Retype new password: password
- (Optional) Configure the name of the switch. If the name
includes spaces, enclose the name in quotation marks (“ ”).
root@# set system host-name host-name
- Configure the default gateway.
root@# set routing-options static route default next-hop address
- Configure the IP address and prefix length for the switch
root@# set interfaces em0 unit 0 family inet address address/prefix-length
Although the CLI permits you to configure two management Ethernet interfaces within the same subnet, only one interface is usable and supported.
The management ports,
C1) are found on the management panel of the EX4600 switch.
- (Optional) Configure the static routes to remote prefixes
with access to the management port.
root@# set routing-options static route remote-prefix next-hop destination-ip retain no-readvertise
- Enable telnet service.
root@# set system services telnet
When Telnet is enabled, you cannot log in to the EX4600 switch through Telnet using root credentials. Root login is allowed only for SSH access.
- Commit the configuration to activate it on the switch.