Connecting and Configuring an EX-series Switch (J-Web Procedure)
There are two ways to connect and configure an EX 3200 or EX 4200 switch: one method is through the console using the CLI and the other is using the J-Web interface. This section describes the J-Web procedure.
Note: To obtain an IP address dynamically, you must enable a DHCP client on the management PC you connect to the switch. If you have configured a static IP on your PC, you will not be able to connect to the switch.
- To transition the switch into initial setup
mode, use the Menu and Enter buttons to the right
of the LCD panel on the front panel of the switch (see Figure 1):
Figure 1: LCD Panel
- Press Menu until you see MAINTENANCE MENU. Then press Enter.
- Press Menu until you see ENTER EZSetup. Then
Note: If EZSetup does not appear as an option in the Maintenance menu, select Factory Default to return the switch to the factory default configuration. EZSetup is displayed in the menu only when the switch is set to the factory default configuration.
- Press Enter to confirm setup and continue with EZSetup.
The ge-0/0/0 interface on the front panel of the switch is configured as the DHCP server with the default IP address, 192.168.1.1. The switch can assign an IP address to the management PC in the IP address range 192.168.1.2 through 192.168.1.253.
Note: You must complete the initial configuration using the J-Web interface within 10 minutes. The LCD displays a count-down timer once you connect the switch to the management PC. The switch exits the EZSetup mode after 10 minutes and reverts to factory configuration, and the PC loses connectivity to the switch.
- Insert one end of the Ethernet cable into the Ethernet
port on the PC and connect the other end to port 0 (ge-0/0/0) on the front panel of the switch (see Figure 2).
Figure 2: Connecting PC to Port 0
- From the PC, open a Web browser, type http://192.168.1.1 in the address field, and press Enter.
- On the Login page, type root as the username, leave the password field blank, and click Login.
- On the Introduction page, click Next.
- On the Basic Settings page, modify the hostname,
the root password, and date and time settings.
- Enter the hostname. This is optional.
- Enter a password and reenter the password.
- Specify the time zone.
- Synchronize the date and time settings of the switch with the management PC or set them manually by selecting the appropriate option button. This is optional.
- Use the Management Options page to select the management
VLAN 'default' for management.
Select this option to configure all data interfaces as members of the default VLAN. Click Next. Specify the management IP address and the default gateway for the default VLAN.
new VLAN for management.
Select this option to create a management VLAN. Click Next. Specify the VLAN name, VLAN ID, member interfaces, and management IP address and default gateway for the new VLAN.
Management-Configure management port.
Select this option to configure only the management interface. Click Next. Specify the IP address and default gateway for the management interface.
- In-band Management-Use VLAN 'default' for management.
- Click Next.
- On the Manage Access page, you may select options to enable Telnet, SSH, and SNMP services. For SNMP, you can configure the read community, location, and contact.
- Click Next.
- The Summary screen displays the configured settings. Click Finish.
The configuration is committed as the active configuration for the switch. You can now log in with the CLI or the J-Web interface to continue configuring the switch. If you use the J-Web interface to continue configuring the switch, the Web session is redirected to the new management IP address. If the connection cannot be made, the J-Web interface displays instructions for starting a J-Web session.
Note: After the configuration takes effect, you might lose connectivity between the PC and the switch. To renew the connection, release and renew the IP address by executing the appropriate commands on the management PC or by removing and re-inserting the Ethernet cable.