Upgrading an MX240, MX480, or MX960 Router to Use the SCBE3-MX
Upgrade the Routing Engine
If you are upgrading to the SCBE3-MX from an SCBE2-MX or older SCB, the Routing Engine must be upgraded to the first supported Junos release for the SCBE3-MX (18.4R1) before you install it in the SCBE3-MX. Also, we recommend that you update the recovery snapshot with the 18.4R1 or later image before you begin the upgrade. If the Routing Engine fails to boot from the primary image, it will attempt to boot from the recovery image. Since the older recovery image does not support the SCBE3-MX, the Routing Engine will crash if it attempts to boot from the old recovery image.
If you plug the Routing Engine into the SCBE3-MX without first upgrading Junos to 18.4R1 or later, Junos might crash and go to a db prompt. Should this occur, you’ll need to recover the router by copying the Junos software image for the 18.4R1 or later release and then booting from the USB drive to install 18.4R1 Junos on the SCBE3-MX. The USB install will wipe out the router configuration and all user files on the Routing Engine.
To upgrade the Routing Engine while it’s plugged into an SCBE2-MX or older SCB:
- Download the software related to your MX Series Routing Engine.
- If you have not already done so, connect to the console port on the switch from your management device, and log in to the Junos OS CLI.
- (Optional) Back up the current software configuration to a second storage option. See the Junos OS Installation and Upgrade Guide for instructions on performing this task.
- Install the new software.
- Reboot the Routing Engine and wait for it to boot with the new Routing Engine image.
- Install the SCBE3-MX into the Router Chassis. See:
Install the Routing Engine into the SCBE3-MX
Refer to the Routing Engine installation procedure for your MX model:
Install the SCBE3-MX into the Router Chassis
Refer to the Switch Control Board installation procedure for your MX model:
Complete the SCBE3-MX Upgrade
- Verify that the installation is successful and the SCBE3-MX
user@host> show chassis environment cb 0
CB 0 status State Online Temperature 30 degrees C / 86 degrees F ...
user@host> show chassis environment cb 1
CB 1 status State Online Temperature 30 degrees C / 86 degrees F ...
Other details, such as, temperature, power, etc are also displayed along with the state.
- Verify that the fabric planes come online correctly:
user@host> show chassis fabric summary
Plane State Uptime 0 Online 2 days, 19 hours, 10 minutes, 9 seconds 1 Online 2 days, 19 hours, 10 minutes, 9 seconds ...
- Verify that the backup Routing Engine is back online:
user@host> show chassis routing-engine 1
Routing Engine Status: Slot 1: Current State Backup ...
- Verify the SCBE3-MXs are installed:
user@host> show chassis hardware
Hardware inventory: Item Version Part number Serial number Description CB 0 REV 29 750-070866 CAKP0543 Enhanced MX SCB 3 CB 1 REV 29 750-070866 CAKP0541 Enhanced MX SCB 3 ...